PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Warbler

Gayle Clement
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I spent much of six weeks on a Louisiana barrier island following bird migration this spring. This hooded warbler is from a day of chasing a fallout of this species around the island. The birds land in one of three small sanctuaries, mostly dense coastal oak habitat, thick with ancient poison ivy vines.

Nikon D700
Nikon 500mm f/4
Nikkor 14TC-EII
Aperture Priority
ISO 1600
Focal Length 700mm

Comments and critique welcome and appreciated.

Randy Stout
05-27-2009, 11:11 AM
Gayle:

Lovely, soft colors, sharp, good HA.

There is some noise in the background, I wish there was a bit more room in front, and might consider blurring the dark branch in the RUC.

Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more of this adventure.

Randy

Doug Brown
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Good looking bird; I really like the pose. Nice feather detail for ISO 1600 on the D700. I agree with Randy about the branch in the RUC and about adding a little canvas up front. I might try to pull a little more detail out of the blacks.

Daniel Cadieux
05-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Ditto the above comments. Excellent pose with a great view of the back and wings.

Tony Whitehead
05-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Agree with all the above comments - I know it is a yellow/green bird in a green environment but the image looks very green to me - is this version unrealistic?

Gayle Clement
05-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi everyone. Just exactly what I needed. I agree with the bit of noise and giving him a bit more room. Played with the image a bit and the blacks are hard to brighten well but I'll try. That branch in the upper right is a pain and I haven't been able to satisfactorily blur it yet.

Tony, the bird is actually yellow green and I think your version added a bit too much magenta. The color is very true in the original. Thanks for trying and for responding.

I'll work it this a bit more and then do a report.
Gayle

Gayle Clement
05-27-2009, 03:37 PM
A re-do with noise addressed, more room in front and blurred branch.

Gayle Clement
05-27-2009, 03:39 PM
A re-do with noise addressed, more room in front and blurred branch.

Aidan Briggs
05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Lovely bird. I hope to see these guys one day. The techs have been covered. The most recent repost is best IMO.

Ramon M. Casares
05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Third repost looks better IMO, I love this image, great backside view, pose, and light, I am not sure about the leaves in the BG, but I don't really dislike them at all :)
Congratulations!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Great find and the repost looks much better. If anything, I might lighten the eye a bit more.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-27-2009, 06:53 PM
This is indeed the best Hooded-warbler image I have seen at BPN.

Love everything about it, I did a few changes on PS. Hope you don't mind. Sorry I coudn't save your signature.

Dick Glover
05-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Gayle,
Lots of good work by a number of people, but they had a terrific image to start with. The colors in your original, and the final repost, look the best to me. Thanks for sharing.
Dick

Stu Bowie
05-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Gayle, lovely pose, and you have captured excellent feather detail in this. Your repost with more room works well.