PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo

Charles Glatzer
05-27-2009, 10:26 AM
This image is copyrighted material as indicated, and is watermarked! Unauthorized use or reproduction for any reason is prohibited

Looking forward to returning to the Falklands in 2010

1Ds Mark III, 24-70 @ 46mm
Manual, INCIDENT, 1/500 @ f/13, ISO 200
Post-production- LR2, CS4

See you where there is light, or at the computer

Best,

Chas <!-- / message -->

John Chardine
05-27-2009, 10:52 AM
I'll be there this November on my annual trip south to Antarctica (since 1995).
I like the wing-stretch pose Chas, and the look-up angle.

This is the third (and best) monitor I've checked this image and the last Gentoo you posted and to me they look washed out, the bird that is. Maybe it's just this individual but the Gentoos I'm used to seeing have very bright orange-red bills and feet. There's a weird anomaly at the extreme edge of the image mid-way in the gravel.

Charles Glatzer
05-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I'll be there this November on my annual trip south to Antarctica (since 1995).
I like the wing-stretch pose Chas, and the look-up angle.

This is the third (and best) monitor I've checked this image and the last Gentoo you posted and to me they look washed out, the bird that is. Maybe it's just this individual but the Gentoos I'm used to seeing have very bright orange-red bills and feet. There's a weird anomaly at the extreme edge of the image mid-way in the gravel.\

John,

Immatures do not have the deep red coloration. Images do not look washed out from this end. I hope others will chime in. I see the blk bar mid way right side..must have hit something in CS.
YOU WILL WISH FOR MORE TIME IN THE FALKLANDS, trouble with ANT trip is the landings are often too short and at the wrong time of day.

Best,

Chas

Steve Maxson
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
A classic penguin pose and I like your low angle and perspective here, Charles. I too have never seen a gentoo (either in the Falklands or the Antarctic Peninsula) that didn't have the red-orange bill and feet - but maybe that's because I haven't been seeing the juveniles. On my monitor, the blacks around the head and shoulders look like they could be a little darker - or was that just the way the light was striking the bird?

John Chardine
05-27-2009, 12:58 PM
\

John,

Immatures do not have the deep red coloration. Images do not look washed out from this end. I hope others will chime in. I see the blk bar mid way right side..must have hit something in CS.
YOU WILL WISH FOR MORE TIME IN THE FALKLANDS, trouble with ANT trip is the landings are often too short and at the wrong time of day.

Best,

Chas

Makes sense if it's a juvi. I do see some fluff around the belly.

I agree if you are a passenger but I'm a staff ornithologist/photographer on board so for us the landings are often too long! In a typical day we are out on the first boat, have about 45 min without pax, 3-4 h later back to ship, quick lunch, as we sail to another destination, then out on first boat again for another 3-4 h. We often stay till the sun goes down so the lighting is pretty darn good. I agree I would like to spend more time on the Falklands though, and go to more places.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Cool pose and details. I can't comment on the colors since I haven't been fortunate enough to go there (yet?) but I think you handled the light well. I would give it a bit more room.

Charles Wesley
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Chas,

I love the pose and overall color. I find it a very pleasing photograph. Have never been to the Falklands. On my monitor it looks fine.
Thanks for sharing....

Stu Bowie
05-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Super pose, and love the eye contact. Although not familiar with the species, I feel the exposure is spot on.

Scott Elowitz
05-28-2009, 10:55 PM
Exposure looks spot on and the pose, angle, BG, comp and 3D effect are impressive.