PDA

View Full Version : One More Experimental HDR IR Image

Ed Vatza
05-27-2009, 06:06 AM
From my limited weekend efforts.

I did the same thing here as in my previous post sans the sepia. Used the IR-converted Rebel XT but this time I used my Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L lens at 70mm and all tripod-mounted. I took a series of three IR images at:

1/1250 sec @ f/4; ISO 200; 0 EV
1/2500 sec @ f/4; ISO 200; -1 EV
1/640 sec @ f/4; ISO 200; +1 EV

and I converted them into an HDR image using Photomatix. I then took the composite HDR IR image into Lightroom for some minor adjustments before moving on to PS4 where I totally desaturated the image for a B/W IR image and did a bit of sharpening and noise reduction.

By the way, the background here is a tree trunk. And this image was made earlier in the morning so I was able to capture the beads of sweat (dew) on the petals.

Alfred Forns
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Wild work Ed !!! Did you consider going more than one stop apart? Love the final result just would like seeing the center of flower sharper which won't be easy with the procedure !!!! Looking forward to the next one These are an art of love !!!!

Richard Lovison
05-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Ed,

I like the flower placement as well as the contrast between the background and the flower.

I always wanted to try using an IR filter on a lens though I don't think the results would be as good as what you achieve with a converted camera. Looking forward to seeing more.

Dave Mills
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Hi Ed, Interesting experiment! I agree with Alfred regarding the sharpness. I would have preferred seeing the empty space in front of the flower rather than behind compositionally. I might also tone down the back leaf since it's brightness competes with your center of interest.

Mike Moats
05-28-2009, 06:07 AM
Hey Ed, I think the IR works better for landscapes where you see green trees that are white which makes for a really unsual and interesting look. With flowers many are already white so I feel like I'm just looking at a white flower, and even though leaves are usually green someone could think it's some kind of hybrid flower with white leaves. I like the comp and good details and soft BG.

Julie Kenward
05-28-2009, 07:25 AM
I like the concept, Ed...and really liked the sepia image in the challenge. I think this has some real possibilities but, to me, it really looks just like a black and white image (at least in this case.) I'm not sure anyone would realize this is an IR image unless they were told.

Fabs Forns
05-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Hmmm, I like the tonalities and texture. I am left wanting for the rest of the leaf at the bottom, though. It seems unbalanced to me.