PDA

View Full Version : First Post - White-Tailed Kite

Joerg Rockenberger
01-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi All,

I am still relatively new at Bird Photography (< 2 years) and I am not sure if I should really post here where so many accomplished photographers gather. But then, that's probably the best way to learn. :)

Normally I photograph with a Canon 40D and the 400F5.6 (the toy lens) but for the occasion below I happened to have rented a 500F4IS and a Wimberly. The picture was taken with the cheap Tamron 1.4 TC in late afternoon light at ISO-800, 1/1600s and F6.3.

I'd very much appreciate your feedback. Please don't hold back.

Thanks, JR

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 09:43 PM
Hi JR!!!

Big welcome to BPN
I'm jealous, never seen that bird!

Wish you had a different position to avoid the shadows,
perfect wings and that eye contact, wow!!!

Tail ain't shabby either.

Looking forward to more and to help you improve your photography :)

Mike McCarthy
01-01-2008, 10:06 PM
Welcome to the forum JR> Lovely looking bird. I'd like to see one of these through my lens. Nice capture. Like the pose and wing position. You handled the exposure nicely and have good detail.

Linda Robbins
01-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi JR, Welcome to BPN

What a wonderful first post. That is one spectacular bird, and the wing position, tail spread and head angle are all great. As Fabs mentioned, the light angle wasn't ideal, but the bird's face is well lit and I don't find the shadows on the bird much of a distraction at all. I'm looking forward to seeing more posts from you!

Glenn Bartley
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Really excellent first post! I love the wing pose and colors in this one. If it were mone (and I wish it was) I would take a bit off the left.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Happy new year!

Joerg Rockenberger
01-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Thank you all for the kind feedback. I have another shot which should address Fabs' comment regarding the shadows. I'll post it tonight. Best, JR