PDA

View Full Version : Lonely springbok lamb

Vincent Grafhorst
02-02-2008, 03:51 AM
A lonely baby springbok in Kalahari landscape. (Antidorcas Marsupialis)

Young springboks are born in the summer months at the beginning of the rainy season.
Females with young lambs tend to form nursery herds. The young remain together resting, more or less in hiding, while the females graze. This lamb, however, was all by itself and the nearest adult springboks were many hundreds of meters away. I could approach this springbok on foot as close as two meters before it decided to get up and take a few clumsy steps not knowing what to do next. One can just imagine what an easy meal a baby springbok is for a cheetah, something we had seen the day before...

I wanted to create an image that is not only about the baby springbok itself but about this vulnerable creature in its beautiful (but cruel) environment. I used a relatively short focal length to include the background with the typical cloudy skies with local rain showers and amazing fiery colors that one can see in the Kalahari in summer. The light conditions made this rather challenging though since it forced me to use a flashgun, which can be very tricky.

Canon EOS 40D with EF-S17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens @ 70mm and a 580EX Speedlite flashgun.
1/125sec @ f/5.6, EV-2/3, ISO 400

Central Kalahari Game Reserve (CKGR), Letiahau Valley, Botswana

Vincent Grafhorst
Gaborone
Botswana
http://www.khwaiphotography.com
vincent@khwaiphotography.com

Kaushik Balakumar
02-02-2008, 05:58 AM
wow, nice to have included the habitat. lots of lovely colours - the blues, the greens, the yellows/oranges & the browns...

TFS.

rgds,
Kaushik

Alfred Forns
02-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Powerful image and dose tell a story Love the lookback and colors Did the little guy make it to safety? Big Congrats !!!

D. Robert Franz
02-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Well executed image with a good use of filll flash and BG exposure.. The glorious skies give visual interest to your BG. The over the back look of the impala gives the image a strong visual flow and is a favorite pose for wildlife images..

Stephen Stephen
02-03-2008, 04:22 PM
Very nice image Vincent. I like your idea of including the habitat it lives in.

Krijn Trimbos
02-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Excellent stuff Vincent! Those springboks sure look funny facing the camera directly......I would like to see what this would look like with the springbok a bit more to the left. Good use of fill flash and the colours are amazing. Well done!

Cindy Cone
02-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I like everything about this one Vincent. Wonderful colors and pose.