PDA

View Full Version : Trillium in Michigan woods

Randy Stout
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
I didn't get back in time to enter the MMDC, but since I really haven't done much macro other than the butterflies, would be hard for me to do the opposite of what I usually do!

We were up north in the lower peninsula of Michigan. The woods were awash with trillium. Many were just starting to get the faint pink/purple coloration shown in this one. I snuck away early on a cloudy day to shoot this one.

D700 Sigma 180, f/14 1/30s ISO 640 handheld, natural light.
Post - Nikon NX2.
I cleaned up a bit of debris on the plant. Tried to adjust the brightness a bit, but as soon as I lightened it at all, began to lose the delicate coloration that I liked, so went back to the original.

All comments appreciated as always.

Cheers

Randy

Fabs Forns
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Very nice, Randy, with great DOF.
Isn't the Sigma 180 macro a great lens? I'm loving mine and I use the Sigma 1.4X very often for insects.

Randy Stout
05-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Fabs:

This is the first time I used the lens, and so far I am very impressed. I did a few landscape shots with it too, and may submit one to OOTB, since I converted it to B&W.

Will it work with the Nikon TC, or only Sigmas?

Randy

denise ippolito
05-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Randy, Really nice details and DOF looks great! Nicely done! Look forward to the B&W!!

Dave Leroy
05-26-2009, 06:09 PM
I like it as presented Randy. The darker tone gives it that deep woods feeling. Very nice. Dave

Julie Kenward
05-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Randy this is beautiful. I also like it as presented but wondered what it would look like lightened up as you mentioned. I selected the flower and then inversed the selection (Select/Inverse), then opened up levels and bumped the midtones just a bit so the greens opened up a little bit more. This is what I came up with:

Just another version for you to contemplate...

Randy Stout
05-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Jules:

Thanks for the repost. I think you did a good job of holding the delicate details in the flower. Because it was a dark, cloudy day, the original more closely matches my memory of it.

When I was trying out a lightened version of the flower, I still left the leaves fairly dark.

Thanks again.

Randy

Roman Kurywczak
05-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Randy,
Very nice specimen and very nice light. I prefer the darker version.....as that is where I always find them too! I might actually soften some of the BG greenery......but like the DOF chosen for the flower details. This is not the easiest of wildflowers..... Nicely done!

Alfred Forns
05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
A beauty Randy Just choice but like the dark one also and with a little focal point might be neat !!!

Mike Moats
05-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Hey Randy, you'll really like the Sigma 180. Good details and I like the repost which balances the flower with the BG better

Bruce Murden
05-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Good job with the square comp for this one! I like to see squares used nicely like this, and always love a pretty trillium.