PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Pano

Axel Hildebrandt
05-26-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm going through some files from last year that I never processed. This skimmer flew toward me at full speed and I find the shape of these birds amazing, particularly the long wings.

http://www.pbase.com/axelhi/image/113000837/original.jpg

1D3, 500f4, 1.4x, 1/2000s, f/8, ISO 400

Juan Aragonés
05-26-2009, 03:00 PM
I see why you like this image Axel. Amazing wings! You did it very well going for a pano croping with this guy. The whites in the face looks a bit bright but I am sure that they are not hot in the original file. Perhaps a darker BG or a levels adjustment in the BG would made the bird to pop even more. I like it a lot :-)

Steve Maxson
05-26-2009, 03:21 PM
I like the view, Axel. In addition to the long wings, this image clearly illustrates the knife-like beak which is rather unique to these birds (I think). I agree with Juan that the whites on the face look hot - on my monitor at least. They could likely be toned down with a linear burn. The pano crop is very appropriate with this subject. I might take even a bit more off the bottom, but the crop works well as presented. Well done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-26-2009, 05:00 PM
A great pano for sure.

Agree with Juan about the a darker BG. Very nice bird.

Randy Stout
05-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Axel:

Very effective presentation, I like the crop as is. If the BG goes darker, the whites will pop more, but the dark wings might be less defined, so I think it is a bit of a wash.

Shows the thin beak very well. I wonder if the thinness is an adaptation to reduce the drag when skimming to an absolute minimum?

Thanks

Randy

Fabs Forns
05-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I love the perspective and the way you can see how narrow the bill actually is. Love the soft clouds in the BG.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Axel:

Very effective presentation, I like the crop as is. If the BG goes darker, the whites will pop more, but the dark wings might be less defined, so I think it is a bit of a wash.

Shows the thin beak very well. I wonder if the thinness is an adaptation to reduce the drag when skimming to an absolute minimum?

Thanks

Randy

Thanks, Randy! Good question regarding the bill. From the side it looks rather sturdy but from this angle it seems almost fragile. I think your theory regarding drag makes sense. It might be a good topic for the behavior forum.

Stu Bowie
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Axel, a perfect head on shot, and a pano crop was the only way to go. You have brought out the eyes nicely, against the darker plumage, and I like the hint of clouds in the BG. Well captured.

Kobus Tollig
05-27-2009, 02:02 AM
Something different and it works for me. Dead on makes it work. Well done

Mike Lentz
05-27-2009, 09:04 AM
The pano is the right crop for this image. I agree that darkening the blue in the skt would make the bird and clouds pop a bit more.

Ramon M. Casares
05-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Amazing, very powerfull crop and great in every way! Congratulations!