PDA

View Full Version : Grass blade

Nagesh Mula
05-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Came across this grass blade accidently while trying to shoot Sandhill cranes. I love the concept here but am not sure of the sharpness. Should I have captured all of the frontal portion of leaf or is it good as it is.
I would like to know your opinion.

Canon 30D with 100-400mm @ 100mm
ISO 250
1/640
f/6.3

Thanks for looking at my picture,
Nagesh Mula

Randy Stout
05-26-2009, 02:44 PM
Nagesh:

I am not a macro whiz, but I think your image would have been stronger with greater DOF as you pondered. I found my eye running up and down the leaf looking for the sharpest area. I think the lighting is effective, with the backlit drops, esp. along the edges.

Thanks for posting.

Randy

Fabs Forns
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Great critique by Randy. I also feel it could be lighter in color and the upper BG a bit warmer.
Keep them coming!

Dave Leroy
05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Great idea. I really like the simplicity of it.
Dave

Julie Kenward
05-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Lovely image, Nagesh! I too think the DOF could have been a bit more - f8 probably. I would also lighten the high tones in this but I love the deep forest greens at the bottom so leave those dark tones alone! Gosh, this is really a beautiful concept and so close to being perfect.

Gordon Craig
05-26-2009, 09:33 PM
This is one of the better compositions that I have seen in a while. They DOF could have been a bit more but I think it is a definite keeper.

Stuart Frohm
05-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Re your question about whether you should have captured all of the frontal part of the leaf: If you mean should you have also captured the bottom (tip), my opinion is no. If you mean should you have chosen greater depth of field, my humble opinion is yes, but that I like what you posted.