PDA

View Full Version : Salad anyone?

Steve Maxson
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I was sitting in a blind at a small woodland pond to photograph ducks when I was astonished to see this porcupine out in the pond and munching away vigorously on algal mats. These animals feed on tree bark in the winter, but switch to herbaceous material in summer. They have been reported eating water lily leaves, but I have never seen (or heard of) one eating algae before. This one did so for about 20 minutes before ambling back to shore. 40D, 500 f/4, 1/1000, f/6.3, ISO 400. Comments are welcome.

Steve Canuel
05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Hi Steve,
This is an interesting shot. Thick algae mat or lightweight porky? Gotta be some good nutrients for him in that stuff. Nice look at the eye, good sharpness, and neat to see him grabbing the algae instead of just putting his face in it. I see evidence of these guys everytime I hike but haven't found one for about a year.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-27-2009, 05:08 AM
Steve,
This is nice behavioural shot. Shows some interesting behaviour. Good sharpness and details in the image.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Maxson
05-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Hi Steve,
This is an interesting shot. Thick algae mat or lightweight porky? Gotta be some good nutrients for him in that stuff. Nice look at the eye, good sharpness, and neat to see him grabbing the algae instead of just putting his face in it. I see evidence of these guys everytime I hike but haven't found one for about a year.

Hi Steve. I don't think this porky was particularly light weight. :) Actually, the water was only a few inches deep where it was feeding. It was using its paw/claws to reach out and rake in globs of algae to eat.

Stu Bowie
05-27-2009, 01:29 PM
A very interesting capture Steve. Well timed to show him holding the algae to his mouth. Good detail throughout, and you even managed a glint in that tiny eye. The blue of the water in the BG adds to the image. Well captured.