PDA

View Full Version : Is There A Landscape in Here?

Jackie Schuknecht
05-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Had a lot of layers happening. Added a nocturnal filter and tried opening up the tonal range with a lots of layer masks. Comments/Suggestions would be appreciated.
40D
10-20 Sigma @ 10
Trpod
ISO 160
f/11
1/50s
Cropped a little.

Paul Marcellini
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I like the blue cast for this, i'm guessing the nocturnal filter. You have a lot of good diagonals and the tonal range is nicely processed. I wish the fallen tree wasn't there to allow my eye to follow the river but nothing you could do without a chainsaw. =) Overall a nicely composed and finished image, well done Jackie.

Douglas Bolt
05-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Hi Jackie,

I like it. You might try making a 4x5 crop by removing some of the bottom so the stream will appear/feel like it has a place to flow. I think removing some from the bottom will cause the viewer's eye to move more towards the center of the image. I too like the blue cast.

Michael Pancier
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
I like the idea of the toning and the comp. Just looks a little flat. Don't know if punching up the contrast a bit might help...

Jackie Schuknecht
05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Michael I thought I had the entire tonal range covered:) Maybe Roman will get his hands on it!

Roman Kurywczak
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey Jackie,
OK....got my hands on it.....I may go with your original comp.....as I usually prefer the 2x3 ratio....but kept it to give you another possibility. Shadow /highlights s 19%...HL.....45/63%....really brought more detail into the snow in the FG. added 5% to blacks in selective color.....LCE of 20/40/0....some dodging in the FG ice/snow.....B/C layer on the river only.....al that and I'm still not sold 100% on the comp.......although....it does give the feel of winter.
61 quality on re-post
let me know what you think.

Dave Mills
05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I like Roman's repost. The crop is where I would take it and there is more definition in the snow with the water a bit lighter.The blue adds to the somber mood of the scene...

Jackie Schuknecht
05-27-2009, 09:30 AM
I like the detail you have brought out in the FG/Ice Roman. I will work on it some more trying your other suggestions, as well as some of Robert A. tutorials. Good practice. I wasn't sure about the comp. Thought too many branches around. Thanks for taking the time:)

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Jackie. I can feel the coldness...
Very nice scenario and composition.