PDA

View Full Version : Male Bobolink

Jim Fenton
05-25-2009, 06:57 PM
I had planned to photograph warblers this weekend up in Maine, but they simply were not around in any type of numbers as they typically have been this weekend in years past.

Therefore, I had to switch gears and I found two subjects I've been hoping to find in excellent surroundings.....the first being bobolinks.

The conditions were great.....new fields of green grass, even, bright overcast and a cooperative male bobolink.

Nikon D300, 500 VR, TC14EII, ISO 640, F7.1, 1/200, UniWB preset, flat tone curve, CW metering, +.7EV compensation applied.

Randy Stout
05-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Jim:

Excellent exposure with wonderful feather detail. Particularly like the tail. Nice BG, well scaled perch, HA, sharpness. I think your weekend was well utilized!

Hope to see some more from this outing.

Randy

Sid Garige
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Fanned tail and buffed up chest. Very nice capture. Tecs are perfect.

Mike Lentz
05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
You know how hurtful this is, Jim? I was out this AM trying to work with them and came away with nothing "worthy". You on the other hand have THE image of this species I was after, the backside plummage and head turn! Then you got it in perfect light!

Nit???? I don't know, maybe crop it a small amount tighter.

Jim Fenton
05-25-2009, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry (not)....I've been after just the right conditions for a couple of years and when I realized the brightness of the solid cloud cover, I headed over to an area where I had found these birds up in Wells Maine last Memorial Day weekend....and it actually worked out :)

I almost presented this as a vertical and in fact, shot a whole bunch in vertical format with the bird singing.

I'll post one of those later on this week.

I also photographed the birds with their heads turned away from me to get the total back side plumage for reference.

Ramon M. Casares
05-25-2009, 08:15 PM
Lovely backside view and terrific soft light, BG is awesome and comp and head angle are great IMO. Big congratulations!

Gayle Clement
05-25-2009, 08:42 PM
This is really a beautiful capture. I love the glance over the shoulder and the spread of the tail.

Dick Glover
05-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Jim,
Looks great in every way -- pose, HA, comp., perch, background, etc., etc. Congratualtions on making one of those really special images.
Dick

Dan Brown
05-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Beautiful work Jim! All has been said below! BTW, I am not very familiar with this species, is this tail tyical?

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM
Very nice bird, thanks for sharing. I also wonder about the tail, is this a juvi?

Love the head turn and clean BG. I would tone down the perch.

Axel Hildebrandt
05-26-2009, 02:21 PM
I like the pose, BG and details and might sharpen a bit less.

It really is surprising how quickly the warblers moved north this year.

Mike Lentz
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry (not)....I've been after just the right conditions for a couple of years and when I realized the brightness of the solid cloud cover, I headed over to an area where I had found these birds up in Wells Maine last Memorial Day weekend....and it actually worked out :)

I almost presented this as a vertical and in fact, shot a whole bunch in vertical format with the bird singing.

I'll post one of those later on this week.

I also photographed the birds with their heads turned away from me to get the total back side plumage for reference.

Hurt me why don't ya!! :)

Tell Dickinson
05-27-2009, 11:35 AM
Gorgeous bg Jim, good detail in blacks, nicely exposed, right sized perch, good eye contact - I love it all :)

Declan Troy
05-27-2009, 12:35 PM
jc,

Regarding the age of this bird.Not sure what criterion causes you query if this is a juvi but for what it is worth at this time of year there is no reliable feature for aging bobolinks. There has been a suggestion that SY (second year which would be a bird born last year, the closest approximation for a juvi extant) males may have buff tips to the primary coverts that are lacking in older (ASY) males. This bird appears to match that characteristic. This method of aging is unsubstantiated but if it hold up then you may be correct in suspecting the age.