PDA

View Full Version : MMDC: Feather

Christopher Miller
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m244/CAMiller290/BPN/P5220300ResizeWeb.jpg

I didn't realize just how accustomed I've become to shooting wide until I started experimenting for this. It was down right tough to avoid f4.5 and only shoot in f8, which BTW is the smallest aperture on my camera. However I found it to be a good change from my usual shooting. :)

I experimented with a number of subjects, but in the end I like this one best. This is a feather from one of our ducks which I laid on an old log.

Olympus SP-550 UZ
f8.0 @ 1/50, ISO 100
Aperture priority mode, pattern metering, cloudy WB
Processed in PS CS; cropped, curves adjustment, and some selective sharpening

Mike Moats
05-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Hey Chris, we're thinking the same, I shot a turkey feather in a birch tree this morning at f/32. I find it easier to shoot stopped down and I get a higher percentage of successful images. I do a field workshop where all we shoot is stiopped down all the way and I find or create all kind of interesting stuff. Good job here with the feather, the tree truck makes a nice BG.

Fabs Forns
05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice composition with soft light and nice DOF.

Alfred Forns
05-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I like how you composed with lots of room to the bg !!! Neat overall effect !!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey Christopher,
Pretty good for f8! I'm with Mike on this one.....I go for the huge DOF because it becomes easier.....get it all in! I like you thought process here with the BG and the framing..... nicely done!

denise ippolito
05-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Very nice composition Christopher. I like the color tones!

Julie Kenward
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I love the framing as well. I wish the tree had more depth to it - maybe some dodging and burning to create even more impact against the feather would create an even stronger composition. I know what you mean about how hard this is...I really struggled with it!

Christopher Miller
05-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments! Once I forced myself to stop down, I actually found it be a lot of fun and I think I'll try stopping down more often in the future.