PDA

View Full Version : MMDC: Cute Little Flower

Charles Wesley
05-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Sorry I don't know the name of this flower. I tried to obtain a certain feel in this photo. My technique is always to stop down the lens. This contest forces me to open up the lens. The subtle colors and hint of sharpness brought me to the subject. Hope everyone likes the delicate look.

Canon EOS-1D, Sigma 180 mm APO AF EX DG macro f/ 3.5, 550 EX flash set to manual with low power and tripod. My exposure was 1/ 125 sec. @ f/4.0 ISO 200.

Enjoy....

Mike Moats
05-25-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey Charles, can't help on the flower ID but I think you did an excellent job on the shot. Good diagonal lines and nice details on the flower, and great BG.

Charles Wesley
05-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Mike,

Thanks just trying to come up with a pleasing photo. I know why stopping down is so important to me in closeups.....

Fabs Forns
05-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Nice, elegant and simple with a very nice color palette.

Alfred Forns
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
I like the soft look and precise focusing point !!! Simple and elegant !!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Charles,
This exercise has definitely helped me look at things I shoot differently! Way to isolate and nice use of the lighting and DOF!

denise ippolito
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Charles, The flower is a variety of Primrose if I'm not mistaken. You did a lovely job capturing the delicate look of this beauty. The green glowing BG adds alot to the composition. Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
05-26-2009, 06:35 PM
I agree with everyone's comments...you really did a beautiful job at taking a very simple flower and making a profoundly beautiful image of it. It's simple lines and classic pink/green combination really give this a wonderful feel.

john crookes
05-27-2009, 09:17 AM
This is the winner

Richard Lovison
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I love the simplicity of the composition as well as the beautiful light on the flower... it's almost as if the flower is filled with light. Beautiful.

John Lowin
05-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Hope I'm not too late, just got back from an Anniversary Dinner.

Charlie, Simplicity, beautiful light, sharp point of focus yet softness of image and color, good use of DOF. Less Is More. THIS IS MY WINNER! - John

Anita Bower
06-01-2009, 06:07 AM
I very much like this simple flower image. Something about it draws me back to it. I agree with John Lowin's comments.

Charles Wesley
06-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind comments and critiques. I'm very impressed with the quality of all contest images. Congratulations to our co- winners and Jules and Mike our moderators.

Hopefully my knee surgeon will help me get proper walking function back to my knee after my appointment today. I'm very frustrating and can't photograph like I want....