PDA

View Full Version : Leopard

Sabyasachi Patra
05-25-2009, 10:49 AM
This leopard was photographed at Bandipur National Park, India. In India, it is not always easy to photograph leopards as they are highly secretive in nature.

Canon EOS 1 D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII ie. at 800 mm, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/400 sec, EV: +1/3rd, full frame.

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Steve Mandel
05-25-2009, 10:57 AM
The shot would be much more appealing if the leopard was facing us and not centered. The rule of thirds needs to be applied, some cropping could do that. Also, there appears to be quite a bit of noise in the background bush. Some more work on this shot and it could be very much improved.

Steve

Harshad Barve
05-26-2009, 03:41 AM
This image gives the feel of forest very nicely

Harshad

Alfred Forns
05-26-2009, 07:40 AM
Love it as presented and has a strong appeal looking away About the only thing would have made it even stronger was having the animal closer to the left. Strong as presented and like the mood !!! Big Congrats !!!

Fabs Forns
05-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Lovely settings and I don't mind him going away looking for something. I would have liked off center here.

Steve Canuel
05-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I like the way the trail leads toward the leopard and into the forest/frame. Was the trail still visible further to the left? If so, I would've liked to have seen the leopard more to the right with some more trail leading deeper into the image. I'm certainly aware of the unique and difficult conditions in which you shoot so my suggestion applies to a "perfect" situation. I don't mind the lack of contact as it gives me the impression of quietly following him while he goes on his way. The BG gives me the impression of heat wave distortion rather than noise and I think it adds to the shot.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Steve,
The trail was not visible beyond the leopard as it had turned to the left. I looked at the scene through the viewfinder and felt this was better than placing the leopard in the rule of thirds position. I had thought whether to keep the tree in the frame or not and at the end decided to compose with both trees on both the sides. Also looked at the trail and wanted it to start from near the lower right frame.

Thanks for all the comments. It is important to hear all the view points as most of the times my compositions are unconventional.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Stu Bowie
05-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi Saby, I reinforce your thinking of starting the trail LRC, and sometimes walking away as if you were following works for me. The surrounding trees dont distract, and dont think there is noise in the BG.