PDA

View Full Version : Highland view

Tom Dolezal
05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Landscape/_69I5758_D.jpg

Another from a recent trip to the Assynt area in NW Scotland.

Technical: Canon 1Ds Mk3, Canon 14mm Mk2, f/8, 1/60, 0 EV, ISO 100, 0 EV, AV mode, handheld

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-26-2009, 03:01 AM
Nice idea to frame the far of mountains using the tunnel. The tunnel and stream lead us into the frame. Might reduce the brightness & increase the contrast a wee bit in the far of landscape.

Paul Marcellini
05-26-2009, 12:31 PM
Great idea and processing in holding the tonal range. I would probably have gone farther into the tunnel, to have more landscape to tunnel in the picture. Actually it looks like a blue sky so zooming in probably would have been better, to keep the same amount of landscape showing, just larger in frame.

Tom Dolezal
05-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Nice idea to frame the far of mountains using the tunnel. The tunnel and stream lead us into the frame. Might reduce the brightness & increase the contrast a wee bit in the far of landscape.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions Kaushik. The location of this shot is from the side of a old stone bridge [the tunnel] and it is a early morning hence the brightness. Will try your suggestion as it can be achieved in PP and see what can be achieved. However imho to loose the brightness would be a negative if trying to keep to the actual scene - such a blue sky & brightness is a rare occurrence in Scotland.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
05-26-2009, 02:15 PM
Great idea and processing in holding the tonal range. I would probably have gone farther into the tunnel, to have more landscape to tunnel in the picture. Actually it looks like a blue sky so zooming in probably would have been better, to keep the same amount of landscape showing, just larger in frame.

Appreciate your comments and suggestions Paul - thank you. In real terms it would not have been safe to go further under the bridge [the tunnel] as the water was quite strong and no safe walkway [I know where wimps here in the UK :D] and the only lens with me that day - apart from a 300 f/2.8 - was the Cannon 14mm which is not a zoom.

I will be visiting that location again in the autumn so will try your suggestion.

Tom

Roman Kurywczak
05-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Hey Tom,
Before I address the image....I have a question.....Did you have a Polariser on? The reason I ask is that the tech #'s don't add up The light looks like it is past 1 hour after sunrise....so the sunny 16 rule comes into play....f16 for 1/100th at ISO 100.....so that translates into f8 and 1/400th of a sec......only explanations is that you used a polariser or that AV was tricked because of the shadow area and overexposed.....and you corrected......hence the shadow area looks pretty good......because even with the polariser maxed....a bit overexposed. This is one of the prime reasons I use manual exposure.

Believe it or not a split ND filter upside down diagonally would have helped here.....as the shadow is pretty strong.....I do like the way the tunnel leads you to the distant mountains.....and even the shadow line......wish for a bit less contrast.

Tom Dolezal
05-27-2009, 03:11 AM
Hey Tom,
Before I address the image....I have a question.....Did you have a Polariser on? The reason I ask is that the tech #'s don't add up The light looks like it is past 1 hour after sunrise....so the sunny 16 rule comes into play....f16 for 1/100th at ISO 100.....so that translates into f8 and 1/400th of a sec......only explanations is that you used a polariser or that AV was tricked because of the shadow area and overexposed.....and you corrected......hence the shadow area looks pretty good......because even with the polariser maxed....a bit overexposed. This is one of the prime reasons I use manual exposure.

Believe it or not a split ND filter upside down diagonally would have helped here.....as the shadow is pretty strong.....I do like the way the tunnel leads you to the distant mountains.....and even the shadow line......wish for a bit less contrast.

Hi Roman

Thanks for your comments and observations. No polariser was used and correction was done in PP. Interesting thought re the angled ND grad.

I presume that, as the Canon 14mm has a convex front element, this filter would have to be handheld. Even so how effective do you think this would be due to that front element i.e. even with the filter held right against the front element, the convex curvature would allow in a considerable amount of light.

Tom