PDA

View Full Version : MMDC - Concept Run Amok

Ed Vatza
05-24-2009, 08:32 PM
Due to some personal issues here, I have not had the time to devote to this exercise that I would have liked. But I have had this idea floating around in my head for the past week or so that I wanted to work on. I've haven't been able to devote the time I would have liked but here is a concept image if I may.

My idea started with a curiosity to see how flower close-ups would work (or not) in IR. I just got my IR-converted Rebel XT back earlier this week and only had very limited time to play with it. I have noticed though that exposures aren't as straightforward in IR as I might have thought. So I started wondered about bracketing and using Photomatix HDR software to "fine tune" the exposure.

So that was the concept that I began with. I had hoped to try different flowers, different backgrounds, etc. but time won't allow. So here is an example of where my thinking has lead so far.

The flower is a Mock Orange. I liked the shape of the flower and the fact that it was already white and would work nicely with the white leaves from the IR exposure. I also like the arrangement of leaves about the flowers.

Using the IR-converted Rebel XT and a 50mm f/1.8 lens with a 12mm extension tube mounted on a tripod, I made a series of three images exposed at -2 EV, -1 EV and 0 EV. Using Photomatix, I created a HDR composite image. Then I imported the HDR image into Lightroom where I made some basic adjustments before passing it on to PS4 where I added the Sepia tone and did a bit sharpening and noise reduction.

I did make images at a variety of aperture values from f/3.5 to f/22 but settled in on this series made at f/18. Since I am really neither an wide open nor a f/22 person, I felt it was fair game.

Original exposures were:
1/13 sec @ f/18; -1 EV; ISO 200
1/25 sec @ f/18; -2 EV; ISO 200
1/6 sec @ f/18; 0 EV, ISO 200

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Ed,
Hope you get more time soon and that the other stuff clears up soon! This has an interesting look to it and I like the placement of the bloom and BG in the frame. I do wonder if it needs to be tweaked more in PP'ing out to bring out some of the tonal values......but that may just be me......let's see what others chime in.

Dave Leroy
05-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Boy, you did put some thought into this one Ed. Good for you. Very interesting arrangement flower, leaves and stem. Good one. Dave

denise ippolito
05-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Ed, I like the experiment and I usually like a very monochromatic look but I think you are missing some punch! I like your composition with the leaves and flower placement.

Thomas Herou
05-25-2009, 07:18 AM
Very soft feeling and I like the tone.
Very nice picture!

Ed Vatza
05-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Appreciate the feedback, folks.

Re: Punching it up a bit - I actually have some black and white IR HDR images made using the same approach as the above that are much punchier. But when I did this one with the conversion to Sepia, my first reaction was "That's it! That's the look I wanted to end up with." I can only describe it as sharp but soft. Almost a pastel sepia if there is such a thing.

Ed

Julie Kenward
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
It's a very unique idea and you should be commended for it. I do like the comp but also feel a touch more selective burning here and there might add a little more interest to an already interesting image.

Ed Vatza
05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
It's a very unique idea...

I have found these challenges to be fun opportunities to push the limits of my photography. Some may say "too far", but it fun to see where it takes me. If you remember, last year I worked on the Lilliputian landscape concept - totally different from anything I had done previously or since. And you throttled me! :) Never quite got it down the way I had envisioned but it was fun to try. This year, it is the Infrared High Dynamic Range Flower Close-Ups. And you'll probably throttle me once gain! :) I only wish I had more time to develop the technique for the challenge.

Take care.

Ed

denise ippolito
05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Ed, You totally stepped out of the box and tried something new! You get my vote!!!IT'S A WINNER !!

John Christian
05-28-2009, 05:33 PM
I like this one. This is the winner.