PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Times....

Arthur Morris
05-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures. I was in a deep dark forest near California, MD with friend and student Dean Newman frustrated by the Hooded Warblers singing all around us. Nothing came close and nothing came down low. I was set up for no-light photography when this flycatcher landed a good distance away.

Canon 800mm f/5.6L IS lens with a 25mm extension tube and the EOS-1D MIII. No-light set up: ISO 1600. Manual exposure: 1/30 sec. at f/5.6. Flash as main light at -1/3 stop with Better Beamer.

I created two frames all morning, both of this bird. On the second exposure the bird jumped from the flash.

I gave no thought to the first image assuming that it would not be sharp. I was thrilled by the reasonable sharpness and EXP and absolutely loved the BKGR.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

BTW, can anyone ID this bird?

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Very nice green BG. Love the head turn and great sharpness at such slow shutter speed.

I am not crazy about the perch since it is a bit big for this bird, but I know... they love to land in relatively large perches where they can get a better grip...

I would bet this is an Alder or Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax spp.) but... voice is the best key in identification as you know.

David Smith
05-24-2009, 06:44 PM
I will have to agree with Juan on it being a Willow Flycatcher.. I like the head turn and sharpness also, but the bright area in front of the bird is a little distracting to me..

Dave

Phil Liew
05-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Artie, welcome to birding under canopy cover just like what we do here in the rainforests.

That appears more like "steel eye" than catchlight from your flash. I would have cropped it tighter to exclude the branch on the right. I can live with the bg as it gives an insight to the habitat of the subject.

You mentioned the bird jumped from the flash - too much I guess for them to get spooked.

Bird ID - It does look like a flycatcher for sure as compared to his cousins from around these parts.

Mike Milicia
05-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Love the pose, head turn, background, and composition.
Size of perch does not bother me and I think the branch on the right adds nice balance/framing.
Agree toning down the bright area a bit may be an improvement.

Had no idea on ID when I opened this image and my ID skills are lacking at best
but, after consulting Sibley's and some birding web sites, I'm going to guess Acadian Flycatcher
based on the green I'm seeing above.

Dave Leroy
05-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Well the morning wasn't a complete bust then. I really like the framing with the perch. branch and bg. Bird gave you a very nice head turn also. Also interesting how you left the little bit of debris hanging off the perch. Dave

Stu Bowie
05-25-2009, 12:38 AM
Super comp and pose, with a great head angle. He is framed nicely in the fork, and I like the effect of the OOF branches in the BG.

Andy MacDougall
05-25-2009, 12:49 AM
Good result in trying conditions, good comp. nice head turn and sharp. Really don't like the upward branch to the right and really don't like the background, both the light area and especially the OOF blurry twigs.

As a tropical rainforest frequenter I feel your pain though ! The noises here are incredible but I think I've only ever taken a handful of bird shots in there.

Andy

Arthur Morris
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi Andy,

re:

Good result in trying conditions, good comp. nice head turn and sharp. Really don't like the upward branch to the right and really don't like the background, both the light area and especially the OOF blurry twigs.

Go figure;; I love the o-o-f twigs.

As a tropical rainforest frequenter I feel your pain though !

No pain, just a challenge.

The noises here are incredible

What noises??? The noise of the birds in the forest?

but I think I've only ever taken a handful of bird shots in there.

It is tough in the dark but knowing the best technique can help a bunch.

Arthur Morris
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Mike, You are in good company. Richard Crossley leans towards Acadian.

Krijn Trimbos
05-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Hi artie, I like the shot a lot! I personally love the twigs in the BG, although I feel that the one intersecting with the tail might distract a little bit. Not completely sure though, would have to see it without. Love the colours captured in the BG and bird, nicely done!

Jim Zipp
06-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey Artie, When I'm in habitat populated with Hooded Warblers my money would be on Acadian Fly. Willow and Alder are most often found in more open areas and not typically in heavily wooded habitat such as this but hard to be sure without hearing them. I like the background as well.

Arthur Morris
06-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Hey Jim, Thanks on all counts.