PDA

View Full Version : MMDC Iris

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2009, 09:04 PM
OK all...here it is! I had this idea ever since my happy accident while doing some flowers earlier this week; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36756
So I decided to try my 3.5 in this direction. Last of my mom's Iris's. I purposefully overexposed the entire image by 3&1/3 stops and used the flash in manual mode at 1/8th power to bring out the details. I did many versions of this......including f11 as I was doing this outside. Late afternoon light with the Canon 1D Marklll and the Sigma 180mm macro at f3.5 for 1/60 sec. and ISO 100 hand held. I have converted this to B&W as well as different amounts of sat/contrast.......depends on mood as to which I like best. I am really liking this technique and may play around with it some more this weekend.........besides, I already own a BPN hat......strange enough it says "Darth" on it.
Just want to give you all a few ideas to experiment with.

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
Here's the B&W version

Anita Bower
05-24-2009, 04:40 AM
I love both of them! Each has a different feel to it. Being a color person, I'll go with the first. Fabulous soft colors and simplified shapes. Looks like a watercolor.

denise ippolito
05-24-2009, 06:31 AM
Roman, I think you are onto something! I really like the soft color palette of the first one.

Richard Lovison
05-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Roman,

As with Anita, I like both of them. What I find interesting is that the softness of the first, due to less contrast, lessens the effect of the limited depth of field. It is more noticeable in the B&W that the front petals are soft. But that doesn't detract from the image... they both are stunning.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Absolutely lovey image. Very creative lighting Roman. And simply love that B&W conversion - it is a stunner.

Julie Kenward
05-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I really prefer the softness of the first colored version. I drew a purple iris once in school - literally the only artistic thing I ever accomplished until I picked up a camera - and this very much reminds me of that drawing. It's quite stunning in its simplicity and the muted softness says "iris" to the nth degree.

Fabs Forns
05-25-2009, 05:33 PM
You should quit landscapes and take flowers :) :) :)

Delicate and artistic, I'd print it give it to your loving wife!

Christopher Miller
05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
My vote goes to this one! THIS IS THE WINNER!

Richard Lovison
05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
After reviewing all the entries, I narrowed my favorites to three. But every time I come back to take a look at this image, one thought comes to mind... a photography technique that was extremely well executed. In my opinion, THIS IS THE WINNER, whether it be the color version or the B&W.

Kaushik Balakumar
05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
THIS IMAGE IS THE WINNER.
My Vote !

Dave Mills
05-28-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey Roman, Very different and beautiful. THIS IS THE WINNER! My Vote

John Lowin
05-29-2009, 05:38 AM
Hi Roman, Congratulations, I understand we tied for the favorite image in this competition. Your Iris image is amazing and I'm eager to experiment with your technique. The look you achieved is so painterly and delicate. I am now waiting for our Iris to bloom to try it out. The weather here in WI has been so cold and wet that it may be quite a while until that happens. Once again, Congratulations. I think that you should have won outright!

This web site has been such a great learning experience for me, my thanks to all of you that have brought me to this point - John

Mike Moats
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Hey Roman, I have to admit I totally missed this shot when veiwing all the entrant. Love it and congrats.