PDA

View Full Version : Mourning Warbler.

Karl Egressy
05-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks to a friend's posting on our local webpage, I got up early this morning and rushed over to Mississauga.
Here is the result.
I had less then a second to fire. I fired four shot.
On the first one, the bird was still twitching its tail. (blurry tail)
This is the second shot. The third and the fourth ones showed only the empty perch.
I was lucky I guess.
Very slight crop.
I selected the bg and lightened it up a bit.
I also selected the log and darkened it a bit.
I sharpened the log and the bird together.
The log might look oversharpened, but it looked a bit strange on the original shot as well.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc29/karlo1789/IMG_8126v.jpg

Axel Hildebrandt
05-23-2009, 06:13 PM
Great find, angle, eye contact and BG. I agree that the perch looks oversharpened. I would only sharpen the bird and run some NR on the BG. What were the techs?

Karl Egressy
05-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks Axel. sorry i almost forgot.
Here it is:

Canon 40D
Canon 500 f 4.0 L IS plus 1.4x TC
ISO 400
f5.6
1/125 sec
exp comp at 0
Dark forested area.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-23-2009, 08:59 PM
I know Mississauga well as we live for seven years in Oakville. Beautiful capture Karl and a wonderful species. I think you did well.. Excellent detail, nice head turn and great eye contact. I agree among the perch looking a tad over sharpened. Many thanks for sharing.

Linda Robbins
05-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Gorgeous subject and perfect pose. The bg looks great, and the bird is tack sharp. I like the texture of the perch, but it does appear somewhat oversharpened. Congratulations on a lovely capture.

Bryan Erb
05-23-2009, 09:45 PM
Nice image, great pose and head angle.

Nagesh Mula
05-23-2009, 11:42 PM
This is beautiful picture nicely composed. I agree with Axel comments on running NR.

Arthur Morris
05-24-2009, 11:52 AM
As far as i am concerned, this is a perfect image. And, of a skulking hard to photograph species as well. What is good about it: pose, sharpness, EXP, image design, BKGR, great detail in the lores ad the breast, and a perfect HA. This stunning image leaves me envious.

Karl Egressy
05-24-2009, 01:29 PM
As far as i am concerned, this is a perfect image. And, of a skulking hard to photograph species as well. What is good about it: pose, sharpness, EXP, image design, BKGR, great detail in the lores ad the breast, and a perfect HA. This stunning image leaves me envious.

Thanks so much Artie. Your comments (and teaching) are valued a lot.

Karl Egressy
05-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Thank you all. I'm happy that I pulled this off. It is a difficult bird to shoot.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-24-2009, 03:14 PM
This is a special image indeed.

Love the species and killer BG. I don't find the perch weird. I only wish to see this image a bit larger.
Congrats on a great picture.

Krijn Trimbos
05-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Love the shot. The pose of the bird is great! As is the BG and perch. The colours really pop! I do think the perch looks a bit contrasty, might be a sharpening issue as others have pointed out. Great job nonetheless!