PDA

View Full Version : Oversized lunch

Barry Goggin
02-01-2008, 07:02 PM
I was eating some lunch and this cormorant popped up splashing about with the fish. This is one of a sequence that show the struggle and the cormorant swallowing the fish which was amazing. My main issue is the hot spots in the photo. I have photoshop but am not that experienced with it. Any ideas on improving the photo either at the time or in photoshop?

thanks

Barry

Alfred Forns
02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi Barry great action Look like the cormorant caught a good meal Having the head of the fish visible is great Shooting in softer light is about the only way to tame the hot spots PS could do it but will be long and hard work I don't mind it as presented !!!

Barry Goggin
02-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks. I thought about cropping in from the left to focus on the action further. It was the worst time of day and extremely bright. In fact I was grabbing a bite to eat before packing it in. I had been photographing all morning. I have a local angling club looking to get a copy of this so I was trying to pretty it up some more.

Bob Reimer
02-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Barry, if anything, I'd be tempted to take a bit more off the right to move the action a bit closer to the 1/3 point. You've got a nice splash happening to the left. It's almost panorama shape and cropping a bit more from the right and perhaps slightly from the left would get it back to a 3:2 maybe. At least at these dimensions, any hot spots don't bother me. I like the foreground ripples and reflection. If this image is already cropped from the bottom, I'd be also consider leaving more of the foreground. Artie talks about leaving room for the "virtual legs" ... in this case you'd be leaving room for the virtual bodies of both bird and fish.