PDA

View Full Version : BW of Fort Pulaski, Savanah, GA

JB Ellis
05-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I like the way the leading lines work in this shot. The canon is in the center, but the focal point might be the archway behind the canon. Any thoughts?

Dave Mills
05-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Hi JB, The cannon might be in the center but it doesn't appear that way to the eye. IMO the focal point is the cannon. Everything is leading you to it and it has become the center of interest. The exposure, light and composition is very well handled. I like the image alot!

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Hey JB,
agree with Dave....the canon is the focal point and the way you composed it definitely makes it appear not centered. I did debate the front arch for a while but find that I like the way it frames......but do wonder if I would like it a bit more in focus......on that note don't forget to post the specs so that we can comment on that aspect too. All in all nicely composed and the exposure is very appealing too. Nice thought on converting to B&W too.

JB Ellis
05-23-2009, 10:47 AM
Roman, its 5.6, 1/60, 400 ISO. If I had used a tripod and a smaller aperture, I probably could have gotten the front arch in focus too. I went to B&W because there was not much color in the scene anyway and B&W was more dramatic.

Paul Wolf
05-23-2009, 11:01 AM
JB, this is one of those great images that I could spend hours playing with - perspective, darkening the lines in the floor, all kinds of stuff. The theme of the arches, right down to the ruts in the floor captured my attention. So, not only do the lines take my eye to the canon, the arches allow me to explore the whole image. Your exposure was dead on, too. I like it a lot, and I also would have never noticed the canon being in the center. So, I now have the added bonus, as a viewer, of an interesting optical illusion of sorts. This makes me study the image and all its elements, not just look at it casually. Just a very nice image from subject matter to mood to composition.

Paul

David Thomasson
05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
JB, this is one of those great images that I could spend hours playing with - perspective, darkening the lines in the floor, all kinds of stuff.

Yes indeed. So many good things happening in this image -- combinations of shapes and textures. Where you might end up is, of course, subjective. I selected the floor and adjusted curves on that, then selected the foreground bricks on the right and made another curves adjustment layer for that.

It's a great shot as is, and much fun to experiment with.

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6860/arches.gif http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/610/arches2.jpg

Paul Marcellini
05-23-2009, 04:49 PM
A very nice capture, from thought to post process. I love the comp and David's repost really takes it up another notch. Well done JB.

Harold Davis
05-23-2009, 06:32 PM
awesome composition, jb! david's repost does take it over top for me. great job.

JB Ellis
05-23-2009, 09:18 PM
I like the re-post too. Now if I can just figure out how to do that myself, bring somewhat PS challenged.
Thanks for the comments.