PDA

View Full Version : Strawberry Poison-dart Frog, Costa Rica

Dan Brown
05-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I was inspired by Doug Brown's Red-eyed frog, so here's another species from our great trip! This guy is less than 1 inch long!

Camera Model: NIKON D300, handheld
Shutter speed: 1/60 sec
Aperture: 16
Exposure mode: Manual
Flash: Optional,TTL, full power, handheld, on remote cord
Metering mode: Spot
ISO: 200
Lens: 105mm f/2.8D
Focal length: 105mm
Focal length: 157mm (in 35mm film)
AF mode: AF-S

Dave Leroy
05-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Lovely looking frog Dan with quite a sinister name. My preference would be for a tad lower in the frame and perhaps a bit to the right. It seems to put more attention on the frog. Really like the colour combination and nice and sharp.Dave

Katie Rupp
05-23-2009, 08:31 AM
Hi Dan, looking good...I think I have a nice "butt shot" of that same fellow.:D

Paul Wolf
05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Dan, your flash technique was just perfect, and great job in getting your focal plane parallel to the frog. I'm very impressed with the exposure and how sharp the frog is from nose to hind leg. Just enough depth of field was obtained with f/16 to make this an excellent image. Excellent work all around!

Paul

Julie Kenward
05-23-2009, 12:34 PM
I love the frog but wasn't all that fond of the dark shadowed area to his left so...I used the pucker brush in "liquify" to shrink the area and then did some restorative cloning to straighten it out a bit.

Doug Brown
05-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Like that little frog Dan! They don't sit still for long. Julie, what's a pucker brush?

Julie Kenward
05-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Doug, If you open liquify under the "filters" tab in Photoshop and look on the left side where the toolbar is you'll see a tool called "pucker." It literally pulls pixels in closer together (almost like when you pucker your lips together) and I've found that with a little work you can take big areas of darkness and all but make them disappear. It does take some practice but it works like a charm when you get it down!

Nancy A Elwood
05-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Dan I really love this image. Your technique looks to be spot on, especially the flash. Big congrads!!

Nagesh Mula
05-24-2009, 12:52 AM
I liked the modified version of this image. Like the sharpness of the subject.

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Lovely looking fellow!

Very nice job getting this one Dan. I especially like the illumination.

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey Dan,
One sweet subject! Very coold and the greenery and DOF work pretty well her. Agree with Jules on the shadow area......but I may opt for a bit of crop and clean up.....still a very nice capture and sweet use of flash!