PDA

View Full Version : Painted skies

Jeni Williams
05-21-2009, 10:20 AM
This one I used NN on the the bg only - it smoothed it quite a bit - almost looks painted. Does it work?

Canon EOS1DMk11
focal length: 28mm
f/16
exp time: 1/2 sec
ISO 100
Tripod
Remote release.

Nagesh Mula
05-21-2009, 02:17 PM
This is simply Beautiful!! No nits from me.

Mark Fuge
05-21-2009, 04:16 PM
I like what I see. But ... ;)

Just a thought. It would be nice to have a foreground subject, the rocks, the sand ... You have waves breaking over the rocks, but no exposed rocks like your earlier image. I think it would add interest, while I like the sky and the cropping, it just seems to lack something.

Another image you may want to try is to shoot the waves from an angle, rather than head on. Show the beach, a rock, the waves and the sky.

I do like the image, but think you can improve it.

Keep on, Keeping on! ;)

Roman Kurywczak
05-23-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Jeni,
Compositionally I don't mind this as the spray and the layers of the waves crashing works for me......but I find the color odd and almost noisy. At ISO 100 with the Mark 2 there shouldn't have been any noise. Do you think you may have introduced it in PP'ing? Did you turn off the sharpening in Noise Ninja when you applied it? I feel the image is nicely composed with the nice dramatic sky but you may want to re-visit the PP'ing on this one.

Paul Marcellini
05-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I like the comp. Doesn't seem too noisy on my comp, but anyways I'm guessing with that dramatic sky you had some underexposed clouds you needed to bring up exposure on. Things that catch my eye are the center wave breaking, seems like a smudge and the highlights bottom right corner. I would try to burn those highlights, and the splash, well maybe you took another frame without it? I find with seascapes you gotta fire off a bunch after deciding on what you want, because you may have the comp but the wave action not right.

Jeni Williams
05-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys, will try it in PP again. Yes, Paul think I do have one without the front wave. Need a few to work still.:) Roman, any ideas on what the NN settings should be? Thanks.