PDA

View Full Version : Shadow/Highlights and Noise

Jeff Nadler
02-01-2008, 03:12 PM
The S/H tool has always had a split opinion-some find it very helpful and others prefer to avoid it and use their more advanced abilities in curves, layer masks, etc.

When I want a quick fix for an underexposed subject, ESPECIALLY the underside of wings, I try the S/H tool either on the entire image or just selecting the area underexposed.

When used, the introduction of digital noise in the brightened area is often unacceptable to me. Removing the noise as a secondary step then elminates too much detail.

Any comments welcome.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-01-2008, 03:18 PM
This is a very interesting topic, Jeff!

I try to apply curves in ACR on the RAW file and only very little later on in PS. This way I have only minor problems with introducing noise. I'm wondering how much this problem differs depending on camera type. 1D3 files seem much less prone to noise than let's say XTi files.

Jeff Nadler
02-01-2008, 03:26 PM
While my 40D overall noise levels is an improvement over prior models, the noise level when using the S/H tool in PSCS2 does not seem to vary.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
While my 40D overall noise levels is an improvement over prior models, the noise level when using the S/H tool in PSCS2 does not seem to vary.

Maybe you could get the trial version of CS3 and experiment with ACR 4.3 It really makes a big difference, not just curves and highlight recovery.

Robert O'Toole
02-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Jeff,

Your comments on SH are right on. SH is very quick to apply but in many cases the side effects are counter productive. For the best results without SH side effects I find that blending 2 converted images with a layer mask. It looks better but takes a lot more time.

Robert

Alfred Forns
02-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Hi jeff I have been trying to get the exposure right if possible I know in full sun sometimes you have to underexpose to save the highlights Situations that I know will not give me the exposure I want have been passing up !! Haven't tried any with the new D3 and its clean ISO Might make a difference !!!

Jeff Nadler
02-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Yes, recently at Viera in bright sun, the whites on the eagle, hooded merganser, and wading birds are a challenge. I guess I love overcast days.

Daniel Cadieux
02-04-2008, 09:27 AM
For that particular tool I find that toning down highlights works much better than brightening shadows. I try to avoid it for use on shadows.