PDA

View Full Version : Male Northern Shoveler

Bonnie Block
05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
http://www.pbase.com/herderdog/image/112783795/original.jpg

I sure have not had any time to post to this forum for awhile. I have been busy with some family matters--and also in the meantime I retired. Yes!
So, hopefully I will be able to participate a bit more now.
My first outing with a new 500/4. Blew the whites a bit--but my best to date on this bird-
50D 500/4 + 1.4TC
1/2000s f/6.3 at 700.0mm iso400

Don Lacy
05-20-2009, 10:09 PM
Nice looking shoveler, i really like the low angle and head turn. i think the eye could use some selective sharpening and maybe some fill flash to lighten the darker tones.

Ramon M. Casares
05-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I agree with Don, fill flash would've helped with the harsh light, BG is nice, pose is good as well, and a bit more USM could also help IMO. Congratulations!

Jean-Luc Vaillant
05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Agree with the previous comments, lovely pose and BG.
Flash would probably help pick up the cheek green iridescence as well.
Also, needs some CCW rotation.

Daniel Cadieux
05-21-2009, 04:52 AM
Congratulations on your retirement Bonnie!! I'm sure you'll take full advantage of the new found time on your hands. I've only got 20 years to go.... :-)

Great low angle here, and I love the hint of habitat in the BG. Some of the whites are indeed very slightly clipped...but certainly recoverable as the are not full-out blown (you do use RAW?). I agree on CCW rotation and would also raise the colour temp a bit. Another small detail is how close the reflected eye is to the bottom edge...either add back canvas there to include the complete reflection (if you have it) or crop a little tighter. Very well done on a species I have yet to photograph.

Stu Bowie
05-21-2009, 05:27 AM
Great low angle, and I like the detail and colour on his head. I agree a CCW would work too.