PDA

View Full Version : Ausable river at Jay

Nick Palmieri
05-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I finally decided to post an image after I read the image contrast tutorial and liked the way this image turned out after the adjustments. Canon EOS 40D 12-24mm at 20mm, ISO 200, f/22, 1/3. This is my first post to BPN. Thanks for all your help.

Gus Cobos
05-20-2009, 09:07 PM
Hi Nick,
A big warm welcome to the BPN family...:) I like your first post, love the rapid fluid motion of the water and the cotton candy effect. Your base image is a tad under exposed...and the mid-tones need to be lightened. I took the liberty of making these adjustments. see if this presents best to you...once again welcome to the family...looking forward to seeing more of your work...:cool:

Katie Rupp
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Big Welcome, Nick and nice first post. I like the composition; it takes my eye all the way back to the horizon and I like the effect you achieved with the water. This is a great forum for learning with lots of good ideas and feedback. Hope to see more.

Alfred Forns
05-20-2009, 10:36 PM
Big Warm Welcome Nick !!!

I like the careful framing and tech settings. The idea for a slow shutter speed to show off the water is usually good. In this case there are no rocks sticking out of the water in the middle of the frame so all is sort of soft from the water running and does give it a strange feel. You need some sharp elements there.

Contrast range/density wise is all personal preference and I sort of like the mood created by the original post. Gus does have a greater range and better mid tones but find the original with more feel.

I also like how you got some color in the sky, neat. A perfect image for ND filter !!! Looking forward to many more Excellent post !!!

Lance Peters
05-21-2009, 03:50 AM
Hi Nick - welcome to the BPN Family, hope you enjoy the ride.
Nice first post, think I prefer your original it may not be technically correct - but to me it feels creatively correct. Agree with AL re the water area in the middle, do like the slow shutter speed on the water.

Looking forward to seeing more :)

Nick Palmieri
05-21-2009, 06:54 AM
Hi guys, Thanks for the feedback. I did use a 2-stop ND filter and tried several versions of this image including HDR. I did the tutorial on this site "Image Contrast and tonal Range Tweaks by Robert Amoruso" which resulted in the posted version and really liked it.

Looking forward to posting more!

Dave Leroy
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Very nice photo Nick. My eye was also drawn right in and back to the lovely looking sky. I also enjoyed just looking at the small roadway on one side and bildings on other. Well done. Dave

Roman Kurywczak
05-21-2009, 03:58 PM
Hey Nick,
Don't worry my friend ...but the landscape mod did find you:D! OK...first a few things....post the specs like SS/f stop/ and ISO....because I will be able to add a great deal of possible solutions and tweaks. I like your sky but also like the way Gus brought out some details in the FG......Do you remember where you placed the grad in regard to the frame?......This scene may have benefitted from a polariser....not because of glare.....but to allow a longer SS and provide even more of a hair effect on the water.......but that is personal taste. This would also be affected by ISO and f-stop....so I'll wait for the reply before adding more.
Glad to see you jumping in with both feet.....no turning back now!

Nick Palmieri
05-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks Roman, I didn't think you looked here...Specs are noted but here they are again, Canon EOS 40D 12-24mm at 20mm, ISO 200, f/22, 1/3. Also used a 2 stop ND filter. Did not use a polarizer.

Roman Kurywczak
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
How'd I miss that??? Where'd you place the split???....the reason I ask is that when you have such a small sliver of sky....tough to get the dark area on the top....without darkening the middleground......so I stack 2 or 3 with the lighter area at the top. Polariser would have definitely slowed down the SS and taken away some of the glare on the water if maxed out. I even use it on overcast days to take the glare off wet rocks and remove any glare off the water.
Yeah...the landscape mod is known to wander....even in Avian!