PDA

View Full Version : Clematis Bud

Julie Kenward
05-20-2009, 07:58 PM
I've been drawn to the clematis buds this year...almost moreso than the beautiful blossoms. Here's one of my favorites for the spring so far. Does anyone find the partial stem in the corner distracting? I can't decide if it adds a nice bit of interest or is just a distraction...

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, f5.6, 1/100th, ISO 400, late evening light, handheld

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I've been drawn to the clematis buds this year...almost moreso than the beautiful blossoms. Here's one of my favorites for the spring so far. Does anyone find the partial stem in the corner distracting? I can't decide if it adds a nice bit of interest or is just a distraction...

Canon 40D, 100mm f/2.8 macro, f5.6, 1/100th, ISO 400, late evening light, handheld

Hi Julie, I really like the varying shades of green. Monochrome image with great soft light. Here's your alternative image. Clean, but it almost cries for something. I like them both, but maybe your original better. - John

Charles Wesley
05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Jules,

This is a lovely clematis bud. Like the slight hint of other colors. It clearly shows the rebirthing process of nature. Clematis is a harbinger of spring.

Thanks for sharing....

Bruce Murden
05-21-2009, 08:57 AM
I like the little stem gone, to concentrate on the curve of the main stem and the shapes of the bud and leaves. Nice comp and thanks to John for the cloned rework.

Dave Mills
05-21-2009, 10:15 AM
I like John's repost. I would even crop a small bit off the top just slightly inside the top leaf.

Julie Kenward
05-21-2009, 12:14 PM
I agree! Nicely done, John. I think I'll take that sliver off the top, too.

Brandy Katzen
05-21-2009, 01:11 PM
I think I would crop inward on the right, rather than clone out. Something about the stem coming from the exact corner of the frame leave one "crying for something" as John said. Also agree with you about taking a bit off the top.

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey Jules,
Another vote for stem gone and I like the repost with a bit of added pop. I too like Dave's a bit off the top idea. Nicely composed all in all. Can't wait to see your f22!