PDA

View Full Version : Sweet William Bloom... In Tight

Charles Wesley
05-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Sweet William is a favorite flower from my garden. It's a native of southern europe that the settlers brought from England to Virginia. This flower was grown in colonial gardens initially in the mid- 1700's. S.W. comes from the dianthus family. It grows to 12- 24" in height and the actual bloom is about 1 1/2 ".

Canon 5D, 12 mm Ext. tube, 180 Sigma f/ 3.5 APO EX DX macro lens and tripod. My exposure was 1.6 sec. @ f/ 16 and ISO 400. This is a stacked image.

Julie Kenward
05-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Really beautiful Charlie...another winner. I'd consider bring the whites up just a tiny bit more for some extra pop against the pinks but that's just me...I love a high contrast image.

Bruce Murden
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm with Julie on wanting more pop out of the whites, but I'm already intrigued by this image. It brings you in, and I want to get into it deeper, wanting a detail on the center only. Nice job!

Mike Moats
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Hey Charlie, beautiful looking subject and great details, and I would agree on a tad more brightness on the whites. Well done.

Brandy Katzen
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
Agree that the whites might look good if they were a bit brighter. I'm one of those weirdos that loves square images, and I think this would look great in a square crop.

Roman Kurywczak
05-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Charles,
Agree on the whites already mentioned. I would have preferred you push that Sigma to F32......come on.....try it! I have the same lens! You may be able to push the 5D to 640 on the ISO.......and just a bit of fill will do the rest......or really be daring and just push the SS even slower......although hold your breath.......don't forget the timer......i usually use the 10 seconds one.
overall nicely composed and I may go with Brandy on the square crop. If it works....use it!