PDA

View Full Version : Western Sandpiper

Mike Milicia
01-01-2008, 09:07 PM
EOS-1D Mk II, 500mm + 1.4xII, 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 640
Added a bit of canvas on the right side and bottom.

Photographed on a foggy morning this past August at Jamaica Bay NWR while there for
a Birds As Art IPT.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Maxis Gamez
01-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Hello Mike and welcome to BPN.

What a wonderful image you have here. I like the feeling and mood of this image. The composition works very well and the reflection is simply amazing. Excellent capture.

Sid Garige
01-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Really like the pink soft touch. But not sure about the empty space in the bottom. May be crop it off?

Arthur Morris
01-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I love the mood and the high placement of the subject in the frame as well as the reflection and the bill touching the water. A better head angle would have put this one over the top for me.

Thanks again for joining me at one of my soul places.

later and love, artie

Fabs Forns
01-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Big welcome, Mike :)

So happy to have you here.

Excellent moody, artistic image, congratulations!

George DeCamp
01-01-2008, 09:22 PM
A pretty image from my favorite spot! Not sure I would have thought of the crop the way you have it here but I will say it works! Sweet first post!

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Fantastic colors on this image. I maybe would place the bird lower in the frame and leave more room above. I know this is a more traditional way of thinking but would work better for me.
Szimi

Linda Robbins
01-01-2008, 10:37 PM
Beautiful soft pink colors and the reflection is really lovely. Very nice!

Glenn Bartley
01-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I love the serenity that comes across in this image. Welcome!

Tom Pfeifer
01-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Mike
I remember this morning very well. I was initially disappointed, and later delighted with the conditions as they lent themselves to some different image making. No exception here. I like your composition on this. It puts a little distance between the viewer and the subject adding to the overall tranquil mood. Nice work!

Robert Amoruso
01-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Hi Mike, nice to see you here. I have not looked at the other comments but here is mine.

I like the negative space below the bird. Not a negative IMO. It adds to the serene feel of the image and w/o any real OOF elements in the lower portion, that is not an issue. A bit of a head turn would have strengthened the composition but we know that the birds don't always do just the right thing. If you have more images in this series, look them over carefully as you might have just the right head turn on one of them.