PDA

View Full Version : Bandon Beach

Steve Maxson
05-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Bandon Beach, Oregon in April. The sky, which had been clear all day, suddenly developed a lot of clouds just as the evening light was starting to get interesting so I was trying to work with the constantly changing conditions as the sun peeked in and out. Shortly after this photo, the light fizzled completely. 40D, 28-135 at 28mm, polarizer, 1/8 sec, f/16, ISO 200. Comments are welcome.

Roman Kurywczak
05-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Hey Steve,
You got really nice seperation in the monoliths and I like the way the FG rock anchors the scene. A split ND would give the same effect (if not better) as the repost.......a multiplied layer at about 80% opacity. This brought out the cloud detail. Still, very well composed on a not so easy scene. Let me know your thoughts.

Steve Maxson
05-20-2009, 05:28 PM
Hey Steve,
You got really nice seperation in the monoliths and I like the way the FG rock anchors the scene. A split ND would give the same effect (if not better) as the repost.......a multiplied layer at about 80% opacity. This brought out the cloud detail. Still, very well composed on a not so easy scene. Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Roman. I made a separate layer to darken the sky (in my original post), but it looks like I didn't take it far enough. I like what you did in the repost - the sky (the whole scene, actually) is much more dramatic. Thanks for taking the time to do this. :)

Bruce Murden
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
I like the dramatic lighting, and the repetition of form of the rocks in FG, MG, & BG. Bringing out the sky helps a lot here. I also get the feeling that the image is tilted slightly, like the entire scene is sliding off to the right (not just the waves/tide). It may need a hint of CCW rotation... or maybe my head needs a little CW rotation. :)