PDA

View Full Version : Doritaenopsis Phalaenopsis Cross

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 09:05 AM
This hybrid, a cross of Doritaenopsis Luminescent Zuma and Phalaenopsis Carmela's Spots 'Bonsal' has been a consistent ribbon winner in competition. I tried this image on a black BG to pop the soft light pink colors, hope you like it. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn. - John

f/25 3.20s ISO 640
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
Gitzo CF 1228 tripod
Arca Swiss B1 Ball Head

Roman Kurywczak
05-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Hey John,
the orchid arrangement is very nice.....not easy to get the blooms arranged this nicely. It appears a bit noisy??? in the whites....but at ISO 640....not sure it would be there. Maybe a bit of a tweak in the PP on the whites.........let's see what others chime in.

Mike Moats
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey John, great comp and great details and light.

Charles Wesley
05-20-2009, 03:47 PM
John,

Love this phal. Wish I owned it. See something in the main stem that looks molty. Also see a possible horizontal line running through each bloom. Not sure its noise. Maybe its my old eyes.
Thanks for sharing...

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey John,
the orchid arrangement is very nice.....not easy to get the blooms arranged this nicely. It appears a bit noisy??? in the whites....but at ISO 640....not sure it would be there. Maybe a bit of a tweak in the PP on the whites.........let's see what others chime in.
Hi Roman, Thanks a lot for your comments. The petals as well as the sepals have fine spotting from " Carmela's Spots", one of the parents, but I don't know if that is what you are referring to. ISO 640 may not be a noise issue with the newer bodies, but I am still using my 1D Mk II, so there could in fact be something there. As for the "whites", there aren't any true whites in the blossoms, everything is a darker or lighter shade of pink or magenta, however I think there is something lost in the translation of the uploads. Thanks again. - John

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey John, great comp and great details and light.

Thanks Mike. BTW: I got my mystery plant identified, thanks again for all your effort and help. Epimedium x rubrum

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 05:29 PM
John,

Love this phal. Wish I owned it. See something in the main stem that looks molty. Also see a possible horizontal line running through each bloom. Not sure its noise. Maybe its my old eyes.
Thanks for sharing...

Hi Charlie, Thanks for your comments. The bloom spike of this grex has a naturally mottled or spotted appearance. The petals all have a strong convex horizontal mid-line. It's a characteristic of this cross. Also my eyes are older than yours! :-) - John

Charles Wesley
05-20-2009, 05:34 PM
John,

Thanks for the reply. Have not seen your phal before. Completely understand what you say.

It sure is a beauty.....

Julie Kenward
05-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Hmm...You'd certainly know the flower better than I but I put it in camera raw and touched the white balance dropper to it and there was a definite change in the whites - they weren't quite so far on the pink side.

I don't see any trouble with noise on the plant itself but the BG definitely has something going on. I tried to open up the midtones and it was really grainy. You might consider giving it a run through noise reduction just to see if that would help.

Overall, it's a lovely image. I just really feel the white balance is a tad bit too pink.

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Hmm...You'd certainly know the flower better than I but I put it in camera raw and touched the white balance dropper to it and there was a definite change in the whites - they weren't quite so far on the pink side.

I don't see any trouble with noise on the plant itself but the BG definitely has something going on. I tried to open up the midtones and it was really grainy. You might consider giving it a run through noise reduction just to see if that would help.

Overall, it's a lovely image. I just really feel the white balance is a tad bit too pink.

Hi Julie, Thanks again. I see a difference between my calibrated monitor image before uploading and after it's on BPN. As for the BG, it was a bit uneven so I darkened it, I'm sure that created the noise. I ran Topaz Denoise prior to darkening the BG. Now I played with an alternate BG. Which do you like better? - John

John Lowin
05-20-2009, 08:04 PM
John,

Thanks for the reply. Have not seen your phal before. Completely understand what you say.

It sure is a beauty.....

Hi Charlie, Good luck with your growing. - John