PDA

View Full Version : Snail Kite Female taking off

Alex Mody
05-20-2009, 03:27 AM
From Lake Kissimmee, Florida. This was back in April, and I'm quite a ways behind with my processing right now. I wanted a male too, but this female was soooo cooperative that the thought of moving on just felt wrong.

Nikon D300, 500mm f/4

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3424982760_2293f59554_o.jpg

Stu Bowie
05-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Alex, I like the light, detail and colours in this. Great timing to capture the take off with the upturned wings. I would maybe move her back to the left, and add a bit to the top. I would really like to see this larger.

Tony Whitehead
05-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Lovely light and colours - BG works well. Maybe some slight CW rotation needed. Agree with Stuart re moving bird a little left in the comp.

Daniel Cadieux
05-20-2009, 06:38 AM
A bit too centered comp-wise, but man this is otherwise so sweet. Great pose, sharpness, colours, and the BG simply rocks! Only thing that catches my eye is the dark shadow cast on the far wing. Well done!

Chris Kotze
05-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Excellent light, detail and colours super shot. Ditto the comp

Ramon M. Casares
05-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Stunnnig light pose and expsoure, BG is superb and colors are great IMO, I would only suggest to decenter the bird a bti. Congratularions!

Juan Carlos Vindas
05-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Simply beautiful!

Love those powerful talons a lot. Great light and BG. The frame does not work for me, sorry about that.

Arthur Morris
05-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Loverly bird, BKGR, EXP, and especially wing position. Wish only that the bird were a bit farther back in the frame.

Whose boat were you on?

Alex Mody
05-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess I'll try to put the bird a bit to the left. I'll have to add some canvas and clone it, because I don't have any additional space in that direction in my raw file.

Juan, I'm sorry you don't like the frame. I don't see the need for you to complain about it, though...

Arthur, I was with Kissimmee Swamp Tours and I went out on a Kayak as well. I'm pretty sure I shot this one from the boat, though.

Tony Whitehead
05-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Juan, I'm sorry you don't like the frame. I don't see the need for you to complain about it, though...

Hi Alex. I didn't see Juan's comment as a complaint. He was just offering valid and honest critique and so included what he liked and what he didn't like about the image as presented. He even included and apology for not liking it as he assumed you did like it. The great difference with BPN is "honest critiques done gently" so when posting an image you need to expect that.

Arthur Morris
05-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Juan, I'm sorry you don't like the frame. I don't see the need for you to complain about it, though... Arthur, I was with Kissimmee Swamp Tours and I went out on a Kayak as well. I'm pretty sure I shot this one from the boat, though.

Thanks for the info Alex. I am confused as to why you took JC's comment as a complaint when he was just stating his honest opinion. Can you explain?