PDA

View Full Version : First Post

Gary Zim
05-19-2009, 08:15 PM
http://garyzim.smugmug.com/photos/515432333_neffF-X2.jpgafter looking at many of the images posted here, I really don't rate, but I am happy with captures of this osprey in Sag Harbor NY. Comments and Suggestions are super welcome.

I hope I posted the links right.

Gary

Axel Hildebrandt
05-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Welcome to BPN, Gary. You can use the 'image insert' button above and please post only one image per post. I tried to fix it but I'm not sure if hotlinking is enabled on your website.

Gary Zim
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I am sorry, but I cannot find an "image insert" button...
that is why I put the direct links in my post

Axel Hildebrandt
05-19-2009, 08:44 PM
I am sorry, but I cannot find an "image insert" button...
that is why I put the direct links in my post

It's the yellow one with a mountain and sun above the text box.

Gary Zim
05-19-2009, 09:05 PM
thank you very much. sorry...

I hope it added a little anticipation, and at least after all that you wanted to see the image? ;-)

Axel Hildebrandt
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
thank you very much. sorry...

I hope it added a little anticipation, and at least after all that you wanted to see the image? ;-)

Looks good, I only deleted the second link because the forum software can't create a thumbnail otherwise.

Very nice first post. I like the landing pose and details. It could go a bit brighter for my taste and I might increase contrast a few points.

Please also post the techs and images should not exceed 1024 pixels horizontally and 800 pixels vertically. Keep them coming.

Gary Zim
05-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Thank you very much for your help, and comment.
Is there an easy way either in Lightroom 2 or PSE 7 to export the EXIF info?

Maxis Gamez
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Hello Gary,

Welcome to BPN. Looks like you didn't have much light to work with. The Osprey looks sharp. I would play with the contrast and/or curves to lighten up the image a little more.

Keep them coming!

Randy Stout
05-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Gary:

Welcome to BPN. It is a great learning place.

I took a minute to tweak a couple of things in your image. It has good bones, just needs a little massage to try and fine tune it.

1) Adjusted midrange slider to increase brightness
2) Brought up the underwing areas to show more detail
3) Brightened and increased contrast of eye
4) Darkened and cropped the nest to decrease its impact on the image.

The cropping is really a question of what you want to say with the image, and perhaps the mass of the nest in the original is what you want to convey. I assumed in my cropping that you wanted to highlight the bird as your primary subject.

These are just quick tweaks, but you got a lot of good advice.

Please keep them coming!

Randy

Steve Canuel
05-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Welcome. Nice pose (really like the wing position). I like what Randy did with lighteneing up the head a bit.

Gary Zim
05-19-2009, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much for the edit and comments. I agree with the next poster, the head and esp. the eyes looks better in your version, and of course your crop works too.

Gary

Stu Bowie
05-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Welcome Gary, Great first post, and I like the landing posture. Good detail and Randy has done a good job with the light.

Tony Whitehead
05-20-2009, 05:19 AM
Welcome Gary. Good first post. I like Randy's edit but may be tempted to mask it to the bird only and keep the sky darker as in the original.

Randy Stout
05-20-2009, 07:27 AM
Gary:

Tony has a good point. If you prefer the slightly darker sky, as in the original, it just takes a bit more work to bring it back down to the original level.

Cheers

Randy

Alfred Forns
05-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Big Welcome Gary

Great comments and re posts Remember to include the camera info, will help in critiquing !!! Original was a little under exposed btw adding light will reduce the color in the sky but will give much more shadow detail in the bird !!! Real nice and looking forward to many more !!!

Gary Zim
05-20-2009, 09:56 AM
This was shot with my D90 300mm f/4.0 AF-S
I will post the rest of the EXIF when I get home.
I did do a little PP on it, to lighten the shadows, crop and sharpen it a bit. If anyone is interested I would be happy to post a link to the original.

Gary