PDA

View Full Version : Still stuck on f32!

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm working on my f3.5.....unsuccesfull so far......so here's another of the blooms I brought indoors. The colors of this Dahlia are what caught my eye....seemed a perfect fir for the black BG. Do realize that when working indoors it is very easy to change that to any color BG.....even natural looking.......and the working height is always a bonus. My wife is back from Florida......so I had to clean up the dining room table.....after I gave her the flowers of course!
Canon Mark 3 with the Sigma 180mm macro. Bright overcasr sidelight with the pot lid and silver reflector adding bounce for 1.6 seconds at f32 and ISO 100 all tripod mounted. I had rotated this to a vert.....but somehow I prefer the horizontal....so that's what I posted. Thoughts?

Richard Lovison
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Roman,

Works OK for me on the horizontal... beautiful detail and light with exceptional depth of field. I need to get a real macro lens. :)

I feel you have a bit of a blue cast in the highlights though I'm not sure if this flower has colder whites.

Bruce Murden
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Roman, the stem doesn't come from the right place for a vert -- but I would consider it if you rotated the image a bit for the stem to come out of the bottom edge when shown as a vert. Lighting and bounce are great here. With the depth of the petals here, you need the smaller aperture. Wonderful image!

Now if you'd just work outside with a little breeze, you'd learn to love f/3.5!

Dave Mills
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Hey Roman...your really posting some beautiful flowers. I thought it need a bit of brightening and used levels and a bit of contrast.

Julie Kenward
05-19-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, it isn't going to win you the BPN hat but it might sell as a poster. Sheesh, you're getting good at this macro/flora thing. Maybe you should leave that silly old landscape forum behind and come play with us full time!

Either version works for me. Yours has more of the silver undertones and Dave's has the perfect whites. Either way it's gorgeous and the lighting is undetectable but totally makes the image shine. Nicely done my friend!

Mike Moats
05-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Hey Roman, another killer shot, great looking subject and great details.

Charles Wesley
05-20-2009, 04:01 PM
Roman,

I love it. F/ 32 and be there at least for macro.

Mike Moats is the man. Got to try it myself.....