PDA

View Full Version : Pamlico County Farm

Joel Arrington
02-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Photoshop CS2 does not display any camera data in File Info. Captured in early morning, it's three images of an assemblage of buildings in a type that has almost disappeared from eastern North Carolina. With the old truck, it could have been in 1950 rather than in 2006 when I made the pan.

Alfred Forns
02-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I like it a lot Joel Your PS work is very good Particularly like the density across the entire scene Beautiful light !!!!

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2008, 06:36 AM
I would have not known this was a stitch unless you mentioned it. Processing is right on. I would suggest some compositional changes. The whole tree on the left should have been included unless there was some distracting element that caused you to crop it partially. What appears to be a ditch on the left side comes in diagonally at the lower left of the frame and exits almost immediately on the lower right edge. This leads my eye in and out of the image and is distracting. If you had walked to the right (assuming you could have), you could have had a nice expanse of virgin green grass in the FG.

It also appears that you have lens distortion as the horizon is curved. This can be corrected in PSCS under Filter>Distort>Lens Correction using the Remove Distortion slider. You also may need to straighten the horizon after by using the Ruler Tool and drawing a line along the horizon parallel to it. Then Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary in the menu, the Rotate Canvas dialog pops up and the angle that needs to be corrected is show. Just click on OK. Then recrop and your all fixed.

Thanks for posting.

Joel Arrington
02-04-2008, 08:51 AM
Thanks for introducing me to new tools. I have not needed them since I have made few pans, and none in a couple of years. If I recall correctly, I decided to make a pan of the farm buildings because of distortion of my wide-angle lens. (Incidentally, I couldn't walk out into the grassy field to shoot because my early morning shadow fell across my picture and that was getting worse as the sun rose. So I had to stand on the shoulder of the road and include the ditch.) The pan didn't quite fix the distortion, but it did improve it. It's going to take some practice with the measure tool and the distortion correction functions, but I made a start this morning, thanks to your shove in that direction. This is the greatest value, in my opinion, of this website, although it serves varied purposes for varied users. Again, thank you Robert for advice and suggestions. - Joel

Harold Davis
02-10-2008, 06:50 PM
yep, that looks like home, joel. i'm originally from edgecombe county and this looks very familar. thanks for posting and it and great stitch job!!

Robert O'Toole
02-22-2008, 11:44 AM
It also appears that you have lens distortion as the horizon is curved. This can be corrected in PSCS under Filter>Distort>Lens Correction using the Remove Distortion slider. You also may need to straighten the horizon after by using the Ruler Tool and drawing a line along the horizon parallel to it. Then Image>Rotate Canvas>Arbitrary in the menu, the Rotate Canvas dialog pops up and the angle that needs to be corrected is show. Just click on OK. Then recrop and your all fixed.

Thanks for posting.

Good advice Robert, I normally teach and also recommend to create short cuts for all of these menu commands or even an action with a Fn key. This tip will save you tons of time. Do yourself a favor and stop using menus ASAP.

Robert