PDA

View Full Version : Another from my visit to the butterfly garden

Nancy A Elwood
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Hello and good morning to all. This is the another one that I liked from my Sunday am visit to the butterfly garden. It is a malachite butterfly on some sweet almond. I love the way the light came through the wings and the simplicity of the flower it was on. Taken with the D300, Nikon 70-300VR, iso 640, f 9, 1/500. All C&C welcomed as always:).

http://www.naturesportal.net/photos/538846337_x46LS-L.jpg

Randy Stout
05-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Nancy:

Very nice. I agree, the wing transillumination is very nice, and the perch is appropriate. In a perfect world, I wish the wing didn't cross the stem, but it still looks very nice! Nice exposure, pleasant background.

I did find myself tipping my head to get the butterfly level. Might be fun to rotate him CCW until level. I don't know if that might make the plant look odd, but they grow out at all sorts of angles.

Thanks for sharing. Butterflies are great fun. You might consider getting a close up lens, such as a Canon 500D or the like, so you can get in closer.

I used a 70-200 f/2.8 with 500D to post the butterflies on this forum.

Cheers

Randy

Nancy A Elwood
05-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Thanks Randy! I work with Nikon, but I do have a 100mm 2.8 macro lens for it, but am still getting use to it. I find the 70-300VR easier because of the handholdablity, but getting closer is nicer for sure.

Julie Kenward
05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Lovely image, Nancy! Another wonderful butterfly and the lighting is beautiful, as is the BG. My one comment on this one would be the top section of the plant - how some of the blooms are part in and part out. Try to frame it in camera where you can get more of a natural break so we aren't left wondering what's up there outside the frame? I know it sounds silly but your eye will go right on out of the frame and have trouble coming back in when the flower blossoms are part in/part out.

That said, I still really like this. I am guessing you were zoomed pretty far in to get that sweet of a BG at f9. Good choice of aperture and exposure.

Mike Moats
05-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey Nancy, I really like this, great details on the B-fly. Great color in the BG. Well done.

Nancy A Elwood
05-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks for anyones kind words and suggestions! I will look at the different suggestions.