PDA

View Full Version : Happy Accident

Roman Kurywczak
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Was playing around with a few flowers today as I am preparing myself for the memorial day weekend challenge. I was shooting at my favorite....f22 when I decided to try f3.5 but forgot to change the speed. Needless to say I got a blown out image by 6 stops.....but when I looked in the LCD......it reminded me of a pencil drawing........hence happy accident. I went back to f22 and blew it out by 6 stops using a combo of exposure and flash at + 1 to maintain some detail in the flower as it was high key. Color looks pretty wild but converted it to B&W just by tweaking in grayscale. Looks pretty wild and may try it with a few at f3.5.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Very nice, great detail and very clean

Christopher Miller
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
A very happy accident, Roman! Definitely does look like a pencil drawing! Love the tones and detail. I would like to see the dark leaf in the LRC cropped out. Also, I think it might benefit from a bit more room on the left and top. Just a few tweaks that I think would make a great photo even better!

denise ippolito
05-19-2009, 06:32 AM
Roman, I like it alot -the texture and color values are great! Beautiful details.Something different!

Dave Mills
05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey Roman, I love the effect. It truly looks like a pencil sketch. I took the liberty to add canvas to the left and crop the bottom and right. To my eye it makes for a more balanced image....

Michael Pancier
05-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm going to try this. I love the effect.

Bruce Murden
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Great way to do a high contrast image. Love it! I like Dave's crop, since it feels like the lower leaf in the original is too far from the bloom to do a good job of anchoring.

Julie Kenward
05-20-2009, 07:29 AM
What a cool accident! I really like Dave's crop, too. What a cool way to mimic a pencil sketch!

Dave Woeller
05-20-2009, 09:28 AM
I wish a few of my accidents would turn out this well :D. I agree with all of the above, this is a stunning image. By the way, best of luck for the Memorial Day challenge.