PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Vulture

Danny Laredo
05-18-2009, 07:09 PM
This image was taken about 2 years ago at the Masai Mara game reserve.
On my final day there, we found Vultures feeding on a Gnu. It was a great chance to get some flight images.

20D sigma50-500@500mm F8 1/800 ISO 200 around 90% of FF.

http://www.pbase.com/danny_laredo/image/77626962.jpg

All c&c welcomed.

Randy Stout
05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Danny:

A powerful image. The outstretched talons and beak, serious concentration here. Sharp with good control of the whites.

Normally I would be concerned about the merge of head and neck with the darker areas, but the alignment of the leg and head was helpful.

I might try to bring up the darker areas under the wings a bit.

He really looks as if he is ready to pounce. On most birds, I would say you need a catchlight, but somehow the 'dead eye' look fits a vulture.

Thanks for sharing.
Randy

Randy Stout
05-18-2009, 07:41 PM
Danny:

I took a quick pass at opening up the shadows. Just an option for you to consider about showing more detail

A little noise is starting to creep in, but I thought overall it was an improvement.

Randy

Axel Hildebrandt
05-18-2009, 08:52 PM
Pretty cool pose and details. Must have been pre-lunch since he looks so clean. :) I like the idea of lightening the shadows a bit, especially the eye. Have you tried a pano crop?

Dave Barnes
05-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Interesting comp, I like the tension in the capture. Very good detail shown and I prefer the proposed lightening,
you dont loose the right hand talons in the shadows.

Stu Bowie
05-19-2009, 07:20 AM
I like the concentrated look of the vulture, focussed on his meal. In your face, and showing good detail. Well captured.

Tony Whitehead
05-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Very intense image - well done to catch this nicely focussed. I think Randy's repost is good in showing more shadow detail. I not sure I understand the 90% of FF comment as the 20D captures a 3:2 format image so to get a square you need to crop away 30%.