PDA

View Full Version : Foraging Woodie

Steve Maxson
05-18-2009, 03:12 PM
This Wood Duck was photographed from a blind at a small woodland pond. Question: Is the piece of vegetation hanging from the bill a plus or a minus. Personally, I like it because it shows some behavior and makes this image stand out from all the the others that are simply portraits (albeit, very nice portraits) of the bird. I expect others will disagree - and I welcome your opinions. :) 40D, 500 f/4 +1.4X, 1/500, f/6.3, ISO 400. Cropped from a horizontal original.

Harold Davis
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM
being that it is a portrait, i dont like the debris. maybe if it included more habitat it would work better for me. looks like you may have lost some detail from a large crop? not bad but another round of sharpening to the eye might help. fantastic exposure on a difficult bird!!

Daniel Cadieux
05-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Fantastic exposure control on this difficult species, and you got all the colours too. Good vertical comp, and I like the vegetation hanging from the bill...gives it a bit of an extra of interest to prevent it being like just any other Wood Duck portrait. I agree with Harold about sharpening the eye - and I would also clone out the lower dimmer catchlight. Well done!!

Dave Leroy
05-18-2009, 06:26 PM
Good for you Steve to get all the colours with nothing blown out. I don't mind the grass. The one small thing that did catch my eye were some of the bg reflections just above the ducks head. Very nicely done. Dave

Stu Bowie
05-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Steve, comp works well, excellent exposure on the colours, and I like the hint of droplets all over the body. The piece of grass does take this above the normal portrait.