PDA

View Full Version : Starling spray

Kerry Perkins
05-18-2009, 01:21 AM
This bird was having a great time with the water at the Cachuma Lake nature center, and the flash did a pretty good job of capturing the action. This was captured in bright sunlight at pretty close range so I had to hold the flash down, but it still froze most of the action. The sequence of images that this came from is pretty funny...

I removed the sun reflection (so there would be only the flash catch light) and cropped out the right side of the bird bath, where there was a drip line that maintains the water level. Converted in LR2 and cropped, sharpened, and finalized in CS4. Exposure at -1 to keep from blowing the highlights and flash used to bring out the dark plumage.

50D, EF400mm f/5.6L
Aperture priority, f/5.6@1/800 ISO 400 AWB EC -1
AI Servo autofocus using back button, hand-held, 580EX II evaluative mode FEC -2

Thank you for your comments!

denise ippolito
05-18-2009, 06:29 AM
Kerry, This is a wonderful image! I love the water droplets everywhere-the color in the BG is spectacular!! Nice sharp details,a slice off the bottom for me. just under your name. Well done-I like it alot!!!

Jeff Cashdollar
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
Kerry, nice image and a good use of flash to stop the water in mid-air. How does the histogram look?

I think the -1, EC is accurate. Sunny day--->darker than a mid-tone = -1/3 & highlights in the beak could require another -1/3 against a dark background, hence -2/3 or -1 would be correct. I always have challenges with images this dark, nice exposure.

Sometimes flash can reflect off dark glossy birds, this looks balanced to me. A slight bottom crop and maybe desat the colors a tad - nice one, thats my 2 cents.

Gus Cobos
05-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Well done Kerry, I like this as presented...I like the color rendition, sharp details, head angle and sharp eye...looking forward to more...good show...:cool:

Harold Davis
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
fun image, kerry!! i think the flash worked out real well for you here. that is one funky looking bird!!

Lance Peters
05-19-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi Kerry - techs all covered - like it a lot - well done :)

Alfred Forns
05-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Great critiques !!!! About all I can add is the use of a polarizer filter ... will help with reflections !!!

Oscar Zangroniz
05-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Love the look in his face. Great capture and awesome eye contact.