PDA

View Full Version : Kilauea Coldera - HVNP

Mark Fuge
05-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Canon EOS 5D – EF35-350/3.5-5.6L USM @ 35.0 mm – ISO 1600 – 1/1600Sec. @ f/22 – Metering Modes – Spot – Exposure Compensation 0

The image is of the coldera of Kilauea Volcano, in Hawaii Volcano National Park on the Big Island. The volcano has been erupting since 1983, when I was last there. However, I was unable to make it to the Big Island on that trip. :( Glad it kept going until I could see it in action! ;)

This was one of the few sunny days on the volcano. Rain and clouds were normal during our stay on the mountain.

The horizon is level, as it can be, given Mauna Loa is a dome volcano mountain. Size is also deceiving on the mountain, as there are few scalable objects on the volcanic landscape. The caldera is about 2-3 miles across, not being round, though it looks a lot small from the vantage points.

If you are interested, this image is also displayed in a different format in OOTB weekly theme - Miniworlds, which is running this week (5-17 thru 5-24). Interesting theme, as are the past ones. Come over and take a look if you haven't been there yet. We have a special going on Monday and Tuesday, all day. Two visits for the price of one! :D Come for the big deal!!;)</O:p

Paul Marcellini
05-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the commentary. i didn't realize the scale, as you said hard to tell. The pano crop works well, and the overall comp. Unfortunately it looks like you got some pretty blown highlights in the smoke. It looks like a tough exposure and if you were shooting a tripod, bracketing could have been very useful. Given that its not too colorful, I might try a bw, plus blown highlights aren't as eyecatching in bw.

Mark Fuge
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39565&stc=1&d=1242617543

Thanks Paul,

I may give it a try. I like the colors, as there were very few days of blue skies on the mountain. Clouds were also rare during our stay in the islands. Hate to give those up when all else is without them.

This is another view as posted in OOTB miniworld theme.

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Hey Mark,
The whites in the original are definitely too hot but in the miniworld they add a comp element and not nearly as distracting. I have to ask.....why ISO 1600? Even with the Mark 3 I will sacrifice high ISO for some speed.....especially on a landscape. ISO 400 and a SS of 400 would have sufficed. A split may have helped here also to tame the steam. I didn't get to see as much when I was there but am planning a return trip.

Mark Fuge
05-19-2009, 08:49 PM
Hello Roman,

I agree with the whites. I like the miniworld effect.

I wondered the same thing when I posted the ASA 1600 setting on this post :confused: I don't know why it would have been set? I normally shoot 200 or 400. I was just learning then, so I may have slipped the dial by mistake, but that is a big switch and since I normally use manual settings, it is surprising that the aperature would have been even close.

I am not on my computer, as I have it in for upgrading, but will recheck the info tomorrow when I get it back.

Mark Fuge
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Hello again Roman,

I checked the image info and it was 1600??? Don't know why, but ... The only time I used that high a speed was when I was shooting the evening show at the Polynesian Cultural Center, when I cranked it up and prayed, as I was shooting with the 35-350. I got a few good snap shots, but the light was not photofloods and there was a no flash rule. But nothing I would post here even for help! :D