PDA

View Full Version : Monument Valley sunset on my first trip to Arizona

JDGagne
05-17-2009, 08:47 PM
This was actually my third trip to Arizona, but my first real to explore the northern part of the state.
In my traveling, I could not miss Monument Valley since this is an American Iconic area. Over shot area maybe, but no one can stay of ice in front of what is offered to you. The first day of wandering and shooting was great; full of surprises and opportunities. The end of that day was simply spectacular in terms of light. For us, northern living souls (Montreal), this was not ordinary. So I worked hard to catch this wonderful golden light showing all the land relief. One of my goal was to try, by including some elements in the near foreground, to give a feeling of "being there"; maybe tough to see on a small size reproduction at 750 pix wide. You tell me.

http://www.bytephoto.com/photopost/data/500/3006Sunset_on_mitts.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Jean-Daniel

Paul Marcellini
05-18-2009, 04:18 PM
i like how the icons aren't as prominant in this. The comp works for me and the light is wonderful. A bonus too is the shadow of one mitten on the other. I think I heard that only happens a short time for the year. Some might want parts of the sky lightened but it works for me too. Very nice image.

Also, please post shot specs as it benefits everyone.

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Don't know why I'm not seeing it right now....will check back later.

JDGagne
05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Roman,

don't know what happend. As if the shot dissappeared. It's back now.

Jean-Daniel

Ed Cordes
05-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Beautiful colors with just the right amount of FG. The clouds help add drama. Thanks for sharing.

Roman Kurywczak
05-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey JD,
very dramatic light......I like all the spot effects. If possible please post the specs for others to learn also. I may tweak the LH 1/2 of the sky and left mitten by lightening a little.....but this may have been lost in compression and tough to asses at small size. All in all very nicely done!

JDGagne
05-20-2009, 03:18 PM
On Roman suggestion and for those interested, here are the specs:

Canon 1DS MK III, EF 17-40 f/4L @17mm, f/16, 1/8 sec, ISO 100, no exposure bias and S-R grad neutral density 3 stops soft.(and maybe a 2 top soft ND grad on top of the 3 stops...can't remember) oh, and my sturdy Gitzo G3530s tripod.

Cheers,

Jean-Daniel

Robert McColley
06-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I've shot Monument Valley a couple times but this takes the prize. I'd kill to get this shot. thanks for showing this.