PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Morning

Kyle Marie Barcelos
05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Took this at the Audobon Society in Westport, Mass. It was a foggy morning and the water has a nice green algae to it. I know the Osprey nest is not landscape, but i really like it. All C&C welcome.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2438/3541081698_3e2ae2068a_o.jpg
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi
Tv 1/1250
Av 5.6
ISO 400

Paul Marcellini
05-18-2009, 04:22 PM
You got the layers down here Kyle. The osprey nest provides a focal point, I wish it was a bit more discernible as to what it is though. I'll be honest and say the shot doesn't do much for me. I be it was a wonderful morning but it isn't conveyed. What I find most interesting in the shot is the fog/mist rising off the water and the trees behind it. Maybe for this morning some close-ups of that area would have been the ticket. Or maybe it was some detail shots of the algae, maybe abstracts. Keep shooting the are and i would love to see what you come up with.

Don Berendsen
05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Kyle,

I agree with Paul's comments here, but I think the image has good potential. I think part of the problem is that you are of two minds with regard to what you want to convey. You might like the osprey nest but it doesn't contribute to the foggy morning feeling nor vice versa. It would be better to take pictures of each subject.

Regarding the landscape, I don't think that the sky or the foreground contribute to the 'foggy morning'. Also the 'fogline' almost divides the picture in half which adds to the ambiguity since neither half of the image is given importance. I cropped the image to show you an alternative view that illustrates the comments. I also gave a very slight tweak to the colour balance to show the scene more how the eyes might see it.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Keep shooting!

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/8996/foggylandscape1.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Kyle,
This is a tough one.The fog is a bonus but the light appears flat overall. I see you shot at 1/1250th of a sec. so I would have sacrificed a great deal of it to get the f-stop up....say f16 at 1/160th sec..... easily hand held. I think the light here is the main culprit as we don't get enough depth between the lights and darks. That interplay is usually the key to success.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
05-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I was out taking pictures of birds so that's why the Av was set like that, I'm still learning and always forget to change my setting, I'm always taking picture of different things and get lost in it all, but i love the advise everyone has giving me and try to keep it all in my head when i head out for pics. Thanks everyone and i will keep practicing..