PDA

View Full Version : Cloud forest bridge

JB Ellis
05-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Shot taken in Monte Verde, Costa Rica. I used 160mm to compress the support cables of the suspension bridge. Bridges are used to help the visitor gain access to the tree tops. Great place to observe the forest's tropical birds and plants that stick to the tree tops.

Paul Marcellini
05-18-2009, 04:25 PM
I like the idea here JB. A few things catch my eye. The oof leaves in the foreground and the overly bright leaves top left. Typically you want you subject(the bridge) to catch the eye and hold it in a picture. The human eye is attracted to brights first, then areas of high-contrast, then overly dark areas. Usually you want to avoid putting the brights close to the edge of frame as it may lead the eye out of the shot. The bridge leads it in but the leaves catch my eye. Maybe you have some other comps?

Roman Kurywczak
05-19-2009, 12:06 PM
Hey JB,
I'd imagine this was a tough one to compose with all the leaves and such but I have to agree with Paul. The 2 OOF front ones are the main culprits as they not only block the bridge leading you in but also take away from the tree that is lit so well behind. The LH leaf would have been an easy crop out.....not sure the FG leafs are an easy fix.

JB Ellis
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Rats. I didn't even see the OOF leaves until you pointed them out. Now that's all I can see. I don't know that the picture can be saved as this is the only one. I was shooting birds with the Canon 100-400 and this view looked inviting as I was walking up. One quick shot at 100mm (160 in 40d) and away I went. I guess I'll just have to go back to Costa Rica and redo.

JB Ellis
05-19-2009, 02:55 PM
Though I'd give the clone tool a try.

Roman Kurywczak
05-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey JB,
Not bad with the clone tool on the LR of the bridge.....may crop out left side....middle of v in tree....takes out last blurry area.

JB Ellis
05-20-2009, 03:38 PM
Gotcha, thanks