PDA

View Full Version : New to this forum

Nancy A Elwood
05-17-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi all. I am usually posting in the avian thread, but was out at a local nursery that has a butterfly garden and thought I would give it a go. Something different you know:). I learned a lot and will try different things next time. This one taken with my D300 and Nikon 70-300VR, iso 640, f 10, 1/640. All comments appreciated:).

http://nelwood.smugmug.com/photos/538791013_PYPEd-L.jpg

Julie Kenward
05-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello Nancy! Glad to see you step over and submit something to our forum!

I really do like this...the butterfly and the repeating pattern of the flowers is very nice. You've got really good DOF and some nice details. Some of the BG is a little distracting - might try to go a little more shallow next time to help blur some of those distant objects.

For this particular image, I think you could probably select that light section in the middle of the frame behind the lowest set of flowers and tone it down just a little so it blends in with the rest of the BG a bit better.

You sure did catch some lovely light!

Nancy A Elwood
05-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Hello Nancy! Glad to see you step over and submit something to our forum!

I really do like this...the butterfly and the repeating pattern of the flowers is very nice. You've got really good DOF and some nice details. Some of the BG is a little distracting - might try to go a little more shallow next time to help blur some of those distant objects.

For this particular image, I think you could probably select that light section in the middle of the frame behind the lowest set of flowers and tone it down just a little so it blends in with the rest of the BG a bit better.

You sure did catch some lovely light!

Thank you so much Julie for your suggestions:D. The DOF thing I am still working on. It is nice to go after a different subject, for it made me think a bit more about DOF and subject.

John Christian
05-17-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree with the comments above. It is some lovely light.

Nancy A Elwood
05-17-2009, 07:54 PM
http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/external/5002860_3276182_69617084_Web_3/0_0_4fed2a8a18648d1472c676b3b34df73a_1

Randy Stout
05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Nancy:

Here is my version, to try and simplify it a bit. You did a nice job getting rid of the clutter on the right.

The posted file is pretty small, so my results are a bit crude, but I think the idea comes through.

In particular, I lowered the brightness of the flowers on the right, so they don't compete so much with the butterfly.

Randy

Nancy A Elwood
05-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks Randy! Very nice!

Mike Moats
05-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Hey Nancy, welcome, and looks like your getting some good suggestions already, I really like the combination of subjects, reposts looks good.

Brandy Katzen
05-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Randy,

I think the flowers on the right compete MORE now. They are too saturated and the color really clashes with the butterfly. I think you are on the right track, but I'd desaturate them a bit after darkening them.

Randy Stout
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Brandy:

Interesting observation. Generally, the lighter, higher contrast objects draw our attention more. Red however, is a powerful color, and it is perhaps why it affects you so.

Thanks for the input

Randy