PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Macro Memorial Day Challenge!

Julie Kenward
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Next weekend is the official observance of Memorial Day here in the United States and most of us find ourselves with an extra long weekend to get out there with our cameras and have some fun. So...I am issuing a challenge to everyone at BPN to participate in the 2nd annual Macro/Flora Memorial Day Challenge!

This year's theme is...

END EXTREMES!!!

Shoot it shallow (f4 or under) or shoot it deep (f22 or greater) but don't get lost in the middle over the Memorial Day weekend. This challenge is to help you break out of how you normally create floral and macro images so if you are a big fan of f22 you need to go shallow; if you are always shooting wide open, you need to go deep! Any photographic subject that is accepted in the Macro/Flora forum is acceptable for the challenge images (i.e. macros, florals, trees, insects, very small critters, etc.)

Here are the rules:

You have to create the photograph you choose to submit between Friday morning, 5/22 and Monday afternoon, 5/25 in order for it to be eligible. One submission per person for the contest.

You can photograph your submission at either end of the aperture ring but I highly encourage you to do the opposite of what you are comfortable with so you can stretch yourself as a photographer. You must post the EXIF data for your image including what lens you used and what the aperture was set at.

All photos need to be posted by end of day, Monday, May 25th. In the title of your post put "MMDC: Name of Photo (MMDC standing for Macro Memorial Day Challenge) so we know this is the one you are submitting for the contest. You may still post other images on a daily basis but only one can be for the MMDC and it needs to be earmarked in the title so everyone can view/vote.

Voting takes place between Tuesday and Thursday of the following week (May 26-28th) and anyone who comes to the forum can vote for their favorite by leaving a comment on only one photo saying "This is the winner!" Whoever gets the most 'winner' votes by the end of the day Thursday wins the bragging rights to this year's Memorial Day Challenge!!!

So get those camera batteries charged and gas up the car! Start to think about where you'll go and what you want to photograph at the far ends of the aperture spectrum.

Will you go shallow or will you go deep? Let the games begin!

denise ippolito
05-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Sounds Exciting Jules!!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-17-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm in.
Holy Spit batman! I just realized I have to go to 3.5 or 2.8!!! Heaven help me!

Julie Kenward
05-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Don't feel bad, Roman... I'm going to have to venture into f32 territory! YIKES!!!!! I'm not sure my 40D even goes that high. Come to think of it...I don't believe I know how high it goes! :eek:

John Chardine PM'd me and asked if moderators could participate and I said yes - let's just remember that moderators should probably vote for the members.

Or me. You could vote for me. :D

Alfred Forns
05-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Love the idea Jules I'm game !!!! .... you can advertise the winner will get a BPN hat :) Not many around !!!!!

Julie Kenward
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Hear that everyone? Winner gets a BPN hat!

Mike Moats
05-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Hey I want a Hat!! I'll check to se if my lens has a 3.5 :D

Thomas Herou
05-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Sounds fun!
But I use almost all apertures in my macropictures.
Maybe I'll leave the lenscap on!:D

Mike Fuhr
05-18-2009, 07:38 PM
That's all I needed -- some competition for a hat!! I'm in!!!

Christopher Miller
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Sounds like fun!!! I tend to shoot in f3.5 to f5 so guess I'll have to shoot deep, though my Olympus SP-550 UZ only goes up to f8.

Ed Vatza
05-20-2009, 05:56 AM
I'll see if I can shake free some time over the weekend. This has not been a good time for me.

If I do, I will work wide open since I seldom do that!

I don't care about you other guys :D but I got a score to settle with Jules from last year! :eek::eek::eek: Be afraid! Be very afraid, Jules!

Julie Kenward
05-20-2009, 07:26 AM
I'd say "bring it on, Ed" but I'm not too sure how well I'll do at f 32! Yikes!!!

Stuart Frohm
05-24-2009, 07:55 AM
I hope I'm posting this in the correct area.

Pentax K100D, SMC Pentax Macro 1:4/100, f/4, exp bias -1.0, aperture priority, 1/125, center-weighted, ISO 200, tripod mounted, iPhoto and Photoshop Elements 2 for Mac.

Thank you very much for this challenge. I customarily do macro photography at higher f-stops. This was an enjoyable stretch.

I'm looking forward to seeing others' submissions.

All best,
Stu

Julie Kenward
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
You are posting it correctly, Stuart and what a stunner it is! Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of comments until Tuesday...voting doesn't officially start until then.

Love the color on this!

Mike Moats
05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Opps, sorry I got carried away with so many images, didn't realize it was one post only for this.:confused: I'm disqualified for not reading the rules.:D