PDA

View Full Version : Crabapple Blossoms 2

John Lowin
05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
Another crabapple blossom image. The huge storms predicted never reached us, so there are still blossoms on the tree, However the buds are now all open. As I prefer the look of the combination, I'm posting another image from yesterday. It was gloomy overcast and breezy yesterday, but today I'd need a high-speed video camera to stop the motion of the blossoms. I've cloned out one distracting bud. I Hope you like my image. C and C welcome, I'm here to learn.

f/7.1 1/160 ISO 800
Canon 1D MkII
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
handheld

Rene Quenneville
05-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, very pleasing image John. I love the overall composition and tones. I think that if you tone down the main flower by 1/ stop you will have a better balance of light. This is a case where the use of a handheld reflector is handy.

John Lowin
05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Wow, very pleasing image John. I love the overall composition and tones. I think that if you tone down the main flower by 1/ stop you will have a better balance of light. This is a case where the use of a handheld reflector is handy.

Thanks for your comments, Rene. The reason I am so fond of this particular "Radiant Crab" is that the blossoms open a somewhat lighter shade than the buds. So even if for only a short time, the tree displays varying shades of magenta. I could in fact darken the open blossom, but that would defeat the beauty I perceive in this particular variety of crabapple tree. Thanks again for your comments, they are appreciated. - John

Julie Kenward
05-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Again, I know exactly what you're talking about...this so reminds me of my old crabapple! Although it's minimal, I would have preferred more of the front facing blossoms to be in focus. It seems like the ones towards the back got more focus than the front ones. Again...it's minimal and considering the conditions you took this in I think you did a heck of a job.

Mike Moats
05-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Hey John, love the comp, great colors, nice details and BG.

John Lowin
05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks one and all, greatly appreciated! - John