PDA

View Full Version : Variable Oystercatcher

Tony Whitehead
05-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Went to the beach with family and dog today - there were a few Oystercatchers working and I caught this one just as it took off.
Nikon D300
Nikon 200-400 @400
ISO 400 1/1250 f5
Full frame capture - doubled the amount of space in front of the bird with content-aware scaling in PS4
I like the wing position and splashes from the toes with touch of motion blur. Clam shell was a bonus - the birds seemed to be doing well on the tiny clams (or tuatuas as they are known in NZ). Light direction wasn't ideal as it was from the side but enough bounced up under the bird from the wet sand to reveal some underwing detail

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Great timing and underwing detail and I am fine with the light. Is this a crop? (I would like a bit more room all around.) The head is angled slightly away from you but still this is an amazing image and a fine capture.

Hand-holding I assume?

Stu Bowie
05-17-2009, 06:28 AM
Excellent timing Tony, and you have exposed this nicely, as they are very difficult to get right at the best of times. This is sharp, and his catch a bonus. I like the pastel colours in the BG too. Well captured.

Chris van Rooyen
05-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Excellent capture Tony. You did very well on the exposure of the darks, and getting the head sharp at that shutter speed. I would consider cleaning up behind the feet.

Tony Whitehead
05-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Is this a crop? (I would like a bit more room all around.)
Hand-holding I assume?
Thanks for the comments guys.
Artie, no crop - I was zoomed in on the bird as it was probing for food when it took flight - I just panned with it and this was the only frame of 3 with the whole bird - added canvas in front to give it a bit of space but agree a bit more room all round would be nice. Yes - handheld.
Chris, the stuff behind the feet is the sand and water trails from the departing toes which I quite liked so left them - I can see your point though as they could be seen as beach detritus.

Dave Phillips
05-17-2009, 02:50 PM
awesome for f/5 that close....as noted, the exposure is right on.
Really like the definite separation of both wing's leading edge

Steve Canuel
05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice timing Tony. The flying sand and water droplets, the wing position, and the trailing feathers on the back of the head give a feel of action to this. Also like the little clam on the beak.

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey, I love the little splashes!