PDA

View Full Version : Grooming Snowy

Scott Frye
05-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Snowy Egret at Gilbert Water Ranch (Gilbert, Arizona)

1/2500 at f8 and ISO400 -2/3 EC
Bigma at 500mm
Canon 40D

Tony Whitehead
05-17-2009, 05:04 AM
Nice pose with the raised leg. More room for to accommodate the virtual feet would be good. The whites seem to be showing a bluish cast on my display. May be an option to neutralise this on the bird but keep the blue of the water in the BG as this works well with the yellow accents on the bird.

Arthur Morris
05-17-2009, 05:51 AM
Good head angle and I like the feather. In addition to the blue cast, the whites look too grey (dark). And this definitely needs more room below.

Stu Bowie
05-17-2009, 10:52 AM
I like the pose with the raised leg, together with the feather at the end of the bill. I too can see a bluish cast, which Im sure can be easily fixed.

Dave Phillips
05-17-2009, 11:07 AM
1/2500 at f8 and ISO400 -2/3 EC

in some metering situations this would work, but if you
will use spot metering on a white bird and go +2/3 to +1 EV or more,
the whites will be about right. Many metering modes and -EV
will give the gray underexposed bird, as will spot metering without any EV (it will be gray)

Randy Stout
05-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Scott:

I tweaked your image just a bit. Reset the white point, which brought up the brightness, the whites look less grey to my eyes. Also pulled back the blue channel just a bit to help with the cast. Some posterization effects are starting to creep into the background now, but I think it shows you and option.

I find color casts are easy to miss. Esp. if you have been staring at the image during processing for a while.
Best to set it aside and come back later, before posting, to look at it with fresh eyes. The cast and other problems often jump out at you then!

Cheers

Randy

Ed Cordes
05-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Repost is much better. Overall I like the image and the feather in the beak is a nice touch.