PDA

View Full Version : My first Hummer attempt.

Marc Mol
05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Have just returned from a 10 day trip to Florida whilst accompanying my wife on a conference in Ft Lauderdale.
I thought I'd give Butterfly World a visit, armed only with my D300, 70-200 & SB900.
It was hard not to avoid the bright highlights in the BG, and you have to photograph these twitchy guys where you find them. Very frustrating, but I had a ball, a really beautiful place, that everyone should visit if in the area.
The 900 was mounted directly on top as using it in commander mode would have made it more difficult (IMO) trying to follow these guys around, NO tripods/monopods allowed here.
I guess also with ghosting evident here, it's difficult to avoid this with only one flash?
I'm keen to know what others think?

Cheers
Marc

Calliope (or) Ruby Throated Hummingbird, ID help req on this one.
D300, ISO200, 70-200 + SB900.
1/60s f/10 @ 200. M flash @ 1/8, producing around 1/8000s, tried 1/16 but resulted in very dark and fake (to me) BG.

http://africaddict.smugmug.com/photos/536781586_v96HW-XL.jpg

Desmond Chan
05-16-2009, 11:47 PM
I think it's not bad as a first try. Eye looks sharp, body feathers look sharp, beak looks sharp. As for head angle, I'll let the HAP have the final say.

By the way, judging by the wing blur, I don't think you got 1/8000s.

Alfred Forns
05-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Love place Marc I do see their point about tripods !! Would be a mess at the hummer place :)

The flash is not stopping the action since the wings are blurred. At any setting you had the flash was not lighting up the bg? Would go for shutter speed by increasing the ISO and opening lens fully.

You did make a good image, I like the pose, sharpness and overall feel. If you have the room might want to see more around the bird. Did well controlling the bg and can apply a slight Gaussian blur if you wish !!! ... hope you got some Bflies also !!!

Dan Brown
05-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Very sharp Marc! would be nice to have a better HA and a bit more room on the left. This is not a Calliope but could be a Ruby-throated. Did you shoot this in an aviary?

Lance Peters
05-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Hi Marc - HA doesn't worry me so much as the image depicts a behavior and the eye is clearly visible.

Good work considering what you had to work with :)

Harold Davis
05-17-2009, 10:50 AM
nice capture, marc and difficult to get in BFW. the bg does compete with the wings with the angles. some gaussian might help. really sharp.

Gus Cobos
05-17-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Marc,
You did quite well considering the conditions given...your best solution would be the increase in shutter speed for the wings...I like the details and good color rendition...:cool:

Marc Mol
05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
The flash is not stopping the action since the wings are blurred. At any setting you had the flash was not lighting up the bg? Would go for shutter speed by increasing the ISO and opening lens fully.

Hi Marc,
...your best solution would be the increase in shutter speed for the wings....:cool:

Can you please explain here guys.
My understanding was that it's the flash that freezes the bird wings not camera shutter speed?
I'm somewhat confused?